Monday, November 20, 2017

Sets in my Collection #28: 1952 Bowman US Presidents

A 36 card set, notably larger than the current standard size, I have 19 of them- but none of them are in particularly good shape. They took quite a beating before I got them in late 2014. Although I loathe politics, I love history, and that gives them a place in my collection. Some of the cards in the set were not of presidents but of presidential related things, like the Declaration of Independence, and the White House itself, George Washington got two cards. I don't have either of the two Washington, or Lincoln. Those three are the keys to completing the set.

While I normally like to get cards in better shape than these are, I also couldn't pass them up!

Each card features a drawing of the President with a background relating to something that happened in their term- or, in the case of then-current Dwight Eisenhower, before he became President.

As you can see from the scans, the condition is poor...but like I have said repeatedly, I'd rather have a low condition card than none at all.

This post was written on November 19th, 2015. Time to get through some of these long-in-the-queue posts!

14 comments:

  1. "Although I loathe politics, I love history" Same here. I rarely collect non-sports cards but those old wartime and postwar cards are fascinating to me.

    This is a really neat set and I hope you're able to complete it one day. How much are the Lincoln and Washington cards vs some of the less heralded presidents? I have a Harry Truman incoming from COMC that cost $4.28, but I wont know exactly what kind of condition it's in for a couple weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually not as much as I thought. I looked on COMC, they only have one of the Washingtons, but both it and the Lincoln are $6.50 each. Not bad!

      Delete
  2. I know I would buy them now but I wonder if I would have had I been a kid in 1952. Good luck completing the set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I would have, but I've never been a normal kid, hah!

      Delete
  3. Seeing these reminded me that I have some of these somewhere. I don't know how I got them or where they are though. I'll do some hunting and let you know if I can help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am hoping you can get the rest of them. This is a good set.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice Billy. I haven't ever seen these before

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't seen them either until they were in my hands. That happens a lot with pre-70s non-sports.

      Delete
  6. Very cool card. I love Presidential cards as well. I picked up an old German Abe Lincoln card just recently at a German card show. Cool stuff that you end up picking up....thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neat! I hope you put up a post about it if you havn't already- I've been busy and have not been keeping up on my blog reading.

      Delete
    2. It’ll be coming up in a post soon.

      Delete
  7. Good stuff. FYI, Billy, I sent you an email with my address, if you need it.

    ReplyDelete