Saturday, January 20, 2018

I can't say "Thank You!" enough

I am not sure what I've done to be on the receiving end of such kindness. The people in this hobby are just incredible, is all I can say, and I can only hope to someday be able to repay the kindness I have received over the years.

Today I got a 20 pound box of cards from Ryan, aka SumoMenkoMan. Ryan has sent care packages before, but this one may take the proverbial cake!


Holy mackerel! By my calculations that is more than 3900 cards! That's the second most I've gotten in one day, and the only day that had more saw boxes arrive from three people and two bubble mailers as well. Please note that there is an O-Pee-Chee box under the Topps box from 1990-91. I've never opened an OPC box before!

Unbelievable! I can't say thank you enough! I have not opened all the packs, yet. I'm going to spread them out and prolong the enjoyment. And some of them will be appearing in my Cards Every Day project, as soon as tomorrow. In fact, I've only opened two packs...I just got home from a card shopping experience and opened the box...but I had to get a post up to say thank you! I originally planned to make Cards Every Day a 2018 event, but I think with these, added to the stash I already have, I could make it an unending project if I chose to...don't think I will though, it would be years before I saw all these cards then!

The shipping alone was more than what these boxes probably cost him, but still.
And you know how you can tell this is just really incredible kindness? I have absolutely nothing he wants. (Not that it's going to stop me from trying to find something, but the only sumo cards I've ever seen are the ones he sent me!) Well, I do have something, that I will be putting in the mail very soon...but it's one little thing. Not anything at all like he sent me...again! As I mention, this is not the first box he's sent me.

I really don't know how to say thank you any better, but I'm eternally grateful and thankful. I just wish I could repay the kindness.

16 comments:

  1. That's quite the mail day. Very impressive. That Pro Set box is loaded with variations and numerous error cards. Some can be extremely valuable. If you pull card# 246 of Paul Gillis and he has a bloody nose you's be in awe of the prices that card alone sells for. Also, I believe, those are the boxes where you can pull a Stanley Cup hologram card which is another highly sought after card. You can find lots of information here. https://junkwaxgems.wordpress.com/2013/01/05/1990-91-pro-set-hockey-errors-variations-ongoing-checklist/#more-692

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some real good info on there, thanks! I've been eyeing that hologram on COMC, but it's more than I will spend on a single card. Pulling a copy would be nice! I'll post about it if I pull that Gillis or the hologram.

      Delete
  2. No worries at all! Like I mentioned, I enjoy reading your blog so this is the least I can do for all the reading enjoyment you've posted. Cheers and enjoy....I hope there are some gems in there for your collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again! This is definitely going to be a big boost to my NHL collection! With just one pack of 90-91 Topps and OPC I'm already over 20 new cards, and it's just a drop in the bucket of what's ahead of me!

      Delete
  3. Well, that'll keep you busy! The kindness of many in this hobby is incredible, and this is another shining example

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! I may not get into all these packs this year!

      Delete
  4. Wow!! Your friend is one really generous guy; very thoughtful and kind of him to do this for you. What a nice day for you today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! On a day when I didn't scan anything, and didn't type anything into Excel, it was a really good day!

      Delete
  5. That is an amazing care package, Ryan is a great guy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SumoMenkoMan is an incredibly generous guy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ryan constantly kills collectors with kindness. That's hours of entertainment there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice time to bust some boxes!

    ReplyDelete