Saturday, November 12, 2022

Set completion: 1992-93 Hoops

 I was really enjoying my Set Completion series but like everything else, it's gone by the wayside as my motivation to write or do pretty much anything that's not models has been pretty much nil over the past few months. It took me 9 months to scan the single card needed for this post, for cryin' out loud. I need to have a better balance in what I do, but I know myself well enough to know that likely won't happen...

Set: 1992-93 Hoops

Set size: 490 cards

Began collecting: Sometime in 1996, exact date lost to history

Date completed: February 23rd, 2022

What I've scanned so far1992-93 Hoops

Thoughts: This is a great set that I never really think about when I think of great sets...actually, it's one of the very few sets that gets a "perfect" rating from me, meaning it has a full checklist, including coaches, all-star cards, league leaders, team cards and a recap of the previous season. Each team has the player name in color coded text which is one of my favorite design ques in the hobby. I should respect this set more than I do, honestly. With this set's completion, I have completed every Hoops set from 1989-90 through 1995-96, 7 consecutive seasons, which is my longest streak of set completion in any NBA brand. At 490 cards this is the second largest Hoops set in the brand's history and one of the largest sets I've completed.

Favorite memory of the set: I don't really have one...it's been familiar to me my entire time collecting the NBA, but nothing in particular stands out on it. They scan easily so there's that, but that's a pretty weak memory. 

Last card needed: #451 Charles Barkley




14 comments:

  1. Seeing Chuck in a Suns uni still doesn't seem right even after all these years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's where he was playing when I discovered the sport so for me the 76era feels a little weird.

      Delete
  2. These sets were from another time - 490 cards -we are not ever going to get that again. Not necessarily expensive at the time either. For some reason I never liked the NBA Hoops white border sets. The 1996-97 set was a favorite of mine. Great Photography and design

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved series 1's design from 96-97. If both series had that design it would have been my favorite Hoops set most likely, or at least in the running.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on completing that set (I like this design too) and the 7 year run. 9 months to scan a single card? Lol. You're starting to sound like me :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy completed set! You can never go wrong with early Hoops sets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the set completion! Barkley as the last card needed? That's turribel!

    ReplyDelete