Tuesday, August 15, 2017

July 2017 Trade Recap

I'm really slacking on this one...I normally try to post my monthly trade recaps on the last day of the month or the first or second day of the month after. This time? I'm not even beginning to type it until August 13th, and I don't know if I will actually get it posted the day I'm writing it!

July was a huge month for me for cards. I got so many, as documented, that I even got backlogged on documenting them all. I pulled off several trades, and I hope I didn't forget any...There's only so much I can store in my temporary memory before I forget, or am distracted by something else, like a squirrel or more cards coming in. (like the COMC order I rushed to create this post before and ended up falling short on)

My first trade of the month was with Trading Card Database member CKBeber329. It was not our first trade and both have gone well. I got a mixture of things from him, and I sent him some football and Space Jam cards. I don't have a whole lot of football available so I was glad to move it to a home that would appreciate it more than sitting in one of my (many) duplicate boxes.

 A big highlight were three of these oversized Gatorade promos from 2003. I had never seen these before. Also got Mark Martin and Matt Kenseth.


Another promo is this Darrell Waltrip card from Pepsi and Maxx, from 1996. Again, a set I had never seen before adding it to my collection. It's in poor shape, but it's mine!
 
A card from 1995 Action Packed. Just a base card, with nothing "special" about it, but Action Packed was great, so I'm showing it.

1995 Classic is one of the few college sets I've ever tried to build. This card isn't technically new- I had this one, and several others that appear on my wantlist. But my college collection took a big hit in a basement flood several years ago, so I needed an upgrade. I had no idea that I had accidentally left the box on the floor...I had no idea I had ever even put it in the basement....1995 Classic took a major hit and 1991 Wild Card was even worse. I have not completed 1995 Classic yet, but someday I hope to. I won't pay money for college cards, so I am hoping to get them out of repacks. I need to start buying repacks again. He sent me three cards from the set, all of which replace water-damaged cards, but I didn't scan them all.

A few posts ago, I showed you my getting 3 big boxes and one envelope of cards all on the same day. As it turned out, the cards in that photo ended up being the 3rd largest day of new cards in my collection! Only two of them were trades, but one of them was a big one!

The small envelope was all non-sports cards from Shawn Norris- we've got a long running series of small trades going back and forth. Luckily for me, he doesn't mind taking imperfect cards because I've got a lot of them, and he will send me perfect cards for them. Win for me! The mailings usually are a mixture of DC and Marvel comics cards and this shipment was no exception. I got so many cards, I'm not sure which box they are in now, but I did need to scan one of them for posting it to the Trading Card Database so I can at least show one of them. The rest were all done on there.
Not really a great card, but at least I had a scan to show.

The biggest trade of the month was with Database member bevans. Brad and I have done three deals now, and I've gotten a ton of great cards from him. The centerpieces of this trade for me was about 3/4ths of the 2006-07 Fleer 1986-87 Throwback set. I had exactly one before. Now I've got 79 of them! He also included a bunch of 2003-04 Exhibit cards from the NHL, many of them are different color back parallels, including several blue which are serially numbered, two of which were oversize. He also sent along some 1970-71 O-Pee-Chee which are in lower shape but were all new to me, some 2012-13 Certified NHL 2012-13 Panini Brilliance NBA, and some O-Pee-Chee Star Wars stickers, which are actually my first cards from the O-Pee-Chee set. In all honesty, I didn't realize they were OPC until he mentioned it...because they look exactly the same as the US releases, unlike the base cards which are bilingual. Once he mentioned it I realized that the edges were indeed ragged, a typical sign of OPC.

 This one looks good from this side but some dopey kid wrote his name on the back of it.
 This is actually a blue back.
 Blogger resizes everything, but this blue back is oversize- the same size as two regular size cards when turned on it's side.
 Yellow back.
 Kenyon! One of my all-time favorites.
 I didn't know long-time Knick Kurt Thomas played for the Suns when I was away from the league. Although he had a long career, this is a throwback jersey, not an 80s image.

This turned out to be the 88,000th NBA card in my collection!


I had to get these posts I'm backlogged on done and up before I really get into my COMC haul! Still a couple more to go before I get into the COMC goodness that I teased yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment