Tuesday, March 26, 2019

What's with all the devastating injuries?

Last night, the NBA saw another player go down with a devastating leg injury, when Jusuf Nurkic of the Blazers broke the two main bones in his leg against the Nets.
A freak occurrence, yes, but there have been a LOT of devastating injuries since the start of last season:
Gordon Hayward basically broke his foot off five minutes into the season, on national TV no less.
Isaiah Canaan of the Suns (no cards issued with the Suns) broke his leg so badly that they wouldn't show it on TV; the bone that broke coming out of his leg.
DeMarcus Cousins ruptured his Achilles Tendon, costing him almost a full year
and Kristaps Porzingis tore his ACL, which is going to cost him a year and a half of his career.

Moving to this season, I feel like I'm forgetting a major injury, but before Nurkic rising star Victor Oladipo
went down with a serious knee injury.

That's a lot of players who are going to miss- or have already missed- a year or more.

What's up with that? I've been a fan of the NBA for a long time now, and it seems that leg injuries are more common now than ever before. I don't understand. The players are putting just as much if not more work into keeping their bodies in top physical condition, so it's not making any sense to me. Injuries are not uncommon in the sport- it comes with the territory- but this just seems like a lot all at once.

Back in the 90s you almost never saw injuries cost a year, I can only think of three- Bernard King, Tim Hardaway and Kevin Willis- but that's just off the top of my head and I may be forgetting others that cost an entire season. Even in the 2000s you didn't see it as much, with Grant Hill missing almost 2 full years being the first one that comes to mind. (My favorite player, Elton Brand, also missed a lot of time with injury) Now, though, in this decade (starting with Paul George leading up to the Olympics) it seems to be getting more common.

I don't like it, and I don't know how- or if- it could be prevented from happening. I hope it does not happen again any time soon. I guess I'm just thinking aloud on a problem I can't solve.

6 comments:

  1. Basketball can be a brutal sport. I suffered more injuries playing lunchtime basketball with my homies than I ever did playing Little League baseball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only ever broke two bones, and one was playing basketball...the other involved a dropped math textbook and a toe. (Which I later reinjured in gym class)

      Delete
  2. Two more players that come to mind are Caris LeVert (Nets) and Dejounte Murray (Spurs). LeVert’s injury was not as severe as some of the others, but still horrible nonetheless. I don’t know why it’s happening at the rate that it is. Are the sneakers different? I’m glad I wasn’t watching the Nets/Blazers game when Nurkic had his injury. I hate seeing it. I refuse to watch the video of it. Compared to football basketball is a safer sport, but there’s trapdoors in basketball too. I hope the NBA is investigating this disturbing trend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LeVert's looked bad but I'm glad he's back. Dejounte Murray I think is the other guy I was trying to remember but couldn't.

      Delete