Thursday, August 22, 2019

Blue Angels, Red Arrows and F-35 Lightning Demo Team

How was your day today? Mine was spectacular! The New York International Air Show is at Stewart Airport in Newburgh. NY this weekend, and I won't be going- for my family to attend would be $750, it's crazy expensive. However, today the Red Arrows and F-35 Lightning Demo team took a flight to the State of Liberty today. The Blue Angels were supposed to join them but cancelled due to plane maintenance so I didn't expect to see them. I was wrong.

My mom and I took a trip to Newburgh, and parked in the Barnes & Noble parking lot. I had recently gotten a gift card for the store, so I figured, that would work well. The B&N in Newburgh is right below the flight path for the long runway at Stewart...in theory, they would go right by us when they returned. That's exactly what happened!
The Red Arrows took one circle around and then landed, but the F-35s did some stunt practicing!

Those little dots in the middle of the image? Those are the F35s. They were high, they were fast, and hard to get a good photo of...but, you know, I managed to.
My favorite photo of the entire day, and I took over 400!

So after they all landed, we went into B&N, then the plan was to head to Roy Rodgers for lunch...but I was already more than an hour past my medicine schedule and my head was pounding, so Arby's, which is much closer, was chosen as lunch. (The fact that you have to drive right past the airport to get there didn't hurt, although it turned out to be a dud- I didn't see any of the Red Arrows, F35s or Blue Angels on the ground.

As we're driving back after lunch, I hear the roar of jet engines over the car. It's an unmistakable sound, and I love that sound, even though it's much louder than anything I usually like.
I look straight up out the roof and what do I see, but the Blue Angels practicing their stunt flying! I have never been happier that our car has a sunroof! We pull back into the same lot, and watch the Blue Angels practice for over an hour.


 My best Blue Angel shot



I know the pictures are not that great...they were moving quickly, and up high- and my camera is not that great, so I did the best I could. Even though my pictures do not compare to how incredibly awesome they were in person, this is something that I will never forget. It's not the first time I've seen stunt flying- I saw a single fighter jet doing stunts at an air show in the mid-1990s- this was the most amazing, spectacular thing I've ever seen involving an airplane...or airplanes.

It's unbelievably awesome to see these pilots, the best of the best from two nations-doing their thing.

I wish I could have captured it on film how great it really was. I'm so thrilled I got to experience it...see it, hear it, even smell it, because they were close enough that I could smell the jet fuel! (a smell I like, by the way)

I also hit 20,000 photos taken on the year today...I blew past my personal record for most photos in a year months ago, and I'm just adding to it all the time. I will never top 2019 in photos.

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like an absolutely interesting day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic photos! I grew up watching the Blue Angels fly over at nearby Moffett Field. Back then those guys were right up there with baseball cards in terms of coolness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got some great photos! A bunch of us almost saw the flyby from our office in Manhattan, but by the time we got to the windows all we saw were the red, white, and blue contrails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I saw some pictures online showing that.

      Delete
  4. That was the best day in a long time. Incredible shots of amazing fly-bys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is nothing more awesome than jet fighters buzzing right on the deck like that. There used to be a small show here in Frederick, and a larger one at Andrews AFB, but I don't think either one still happens. My Dad and I went regularly. I'd get giddy as a kid watching them, just loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's truly something special. I've seen a single fighter jet doing stunts in the past, but this was unlike anything I'd ever seen before.

      Delete