Thursday, September 19, 2019

Sumo on Ice

A while back, Ryan of SumoMenkoMan fame sent me a box of sealed hockey packs...which I didn't get a chance to write about due to various things. Then, a few weeks ago now, he sent me a box of various hockey cards! The loose cards apparently came from his visit with Fuji, so I'll just thank them both here. Since I'm finally getting scanning again, I've been able to get some of them scanned, so I can finally post about them...since I'm so backlogged, and since I've only opened a couple of packs from the bounty he sent, I'm combining them into one post.

First, the box of packs:

At least a couple of these are sets not present in my collection...every single one of them is a set I've never opened a single pack from! Wow! I've only opened two of the packs so far...the rest are still sitting next to me, waiting for their turn. (and waiting for me to scan them- I need to do that before I open them).
Every one of them had a price tag, which I carefully removed...and stuck to the box. (for lack of any place better to stick them)

As if that wasn't cool enough, a few weeks later- I'm a little scatterbrained on exactly when he sent the box of packs, since I didn't count them until I opened them, not when I got the box- another surprise box shows up, this time containing loose cards in a plastic case and more packs, this time 2017-18 BBM B.League Japanese basketball cards! I showed the back of them already, so I'll post a front here since I forgot to before.

Of the cards he sent, I got a bunch of new ones, and even a couple sets I didn't have previously...including one that he sent me a pack of but I hadn't opened yet!

Here are just a couple of the many highlights:
 My first card from 1999-00 Topps Chrome, the hockey version!



 My first card from this year's McDonald's set
 My first base card from 2011-12 SP Authentic
 I don't have much from 2004-05 season, the lockout year.
 This Throwbacks set is awesome. He sent me two, bringing my grand total from the set to three cards.

 My records show I have another card from this set, but I don't remember the design at all. I still have a lot left to scan though.

I just like the design of the 2000-02 Stadium Club set for NHL. I like this more than the NBA design of the same year, which I also like.
Yes, I started thinking the Grease theme song after getting this one...
Here's the promised B.League front. I think I might like the 2017-18 set more than 2016-17, as it is team color coded, something I always like. The only cards I have in my collection from the set came from the packs he sent me, which I didn't count, but was at least 5 from each series. (or half, as BBM calls them)

Thanks again Ryan, and sorry it took me so long to get a thank-you post written! It's been well over a month now, I need to work on being better at thanking people in a timely manner. I know I thanked you in a direct message, but that's poor blogger etiquette on my part. There's so much more I could post, but don't want to hold up the post any longer.

9 comments:

  1. Nice stuff! Seeing some of those older Pacific packs brings back some good memories for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't experience them new, I get to make the memories now...and I have Cardboard History to document it on!

      Delete
  2. Glad they all arrived safely. I’m not up to speed on hockey, but I took a stab at some random packs that looked unique and hopefully not in your collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You picked very well! Not one of these had crossed my path before you sent them!

      Delete
  3. I've never opened a hockey pack from the foil era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the same for me until 2017... making up for lost time now!

      Delete
  4. It's cool seeing that 1998 Bowman CHL pack. I opened a lot of that product back in the day. Ryan seems to be the unopened pack king. His care packages are always filled with cool stuff to rip open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that's one of the sets not in my collection at all! May have one card, can't recall off the top of my head. I know the Pacific CHL set is totally new to me, I didn't even know it existed until it came out of the box!

      Delete
  5. You have very generous friends! That is so cool.

    ReplyDelete