Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Trip to Lake George and the Saratoga Automobile Museum

 This past Thursday my brother and I took a trip to Lake George, my favorite place in the world, and the first time I had been there since September. Naturally we stopped at the Saratoga Automobile Museum and a few other places along the way. 

This made me laugh. It's a Port-A-Potty being carried via a rope by an excavator on the Newburgh Beacon Bridge. this was the 5th photo I took on the day and is in my top 10 favorites.  
Love the open road, took a lot of photos of them, but am only posting three, including the next one.

The Captial Region Welcome center is new (opened 2019) but is already a favorite stop of mine. 
Home
The map of NY is almost impossible to get a decent photo of due to the glare from the windows. Going to have to find a way to get there at night some how. The little red circle below the purple is "You are Here"
For my entire life we've stopped at the toll booths in Albany...not any more.
The Twin Bridges over the Mohawk River
and the Mohawk River
I finally got a decent shot of it. It's not easy!
The aptly named Avenue of the Pines in Saratoga Springs
I know this is huge, but it's a map of all the cars made in my home state, I'd love to see all of these, but many of them have no known examples.

Porsche is the current exhibit.
However, my favorite car seen on this trip was not in the museum, but outside of it: 


Not to brag, but it's not every day I find a car I've never heard of, and it happened here! This is the 1978 GE-100, a concept electric car made by General Electric. I had no idea GE made cars. 
I found an article about it, and I think the car in the promotional image is the same one I saw. Note that it has the same license plate. https://www.allcarindex.com/concept/united-states/general-electric/centennial-electric-ge-100/

Finally got a quality photo of the outside of the building, something I somehow never got.
In downtown Saratoga Springs, there are just two ducks randomly crossing the street!
Zoomed in, barely visible, but there
No trip to the Adirondacks is complete without a stop at Racing City Hobbies
The Hudson River in Queensbury
I was following the Northway on Google Maps and discovered how to get into the park as seen in the last photo



The Hudson is nice and peaceful there. My brother saw a fish swim by but unfortunately I missed it
You go right by the billboard. 
I like the name of the road you go down to get to it, too. 
One of my absolute favorite views in the world, the Northway in Queensbury, with Prospect Mountain in the background. 
First view of the lake!

Perfect


We parked and spent some time on the bench by the water
two funny things about this sigh: somebody put a googly eye on the duck, and they reused  "No parking 8 PM to 6 AM" sign! You can see the 8 outline pretty clearly.




I have been trying for 18 years to get a good shot of the Mohican, and I finally did! She's in her 113th year on Lake George



I actually captured the heat distortion.

I didn't feed them.

vintage Chris Craft


This shows hoe steep the road we parked on is.

There's a kite in this image
last view of the Lake before heading home

Big backup in Latham
Big enough that the GPS even took note of it.
Nice clouds
Hard to see but the U-Haul truck had Wapakoneta Ohio on it, a place I visited in 2019 to visit the Armstrong Air and Space Museum
For being rush hour and just before a major holiday there wasn't much traffic in front of us
There's a sailboat out there, you have to look through the slats.



Here are the pictures from the ride and the rest from Lake George. Lake George May 2021

Here are the pictures from the Saratoga Automobile Museum: Saratoga Automobile Museum Porsche exhibit

There are way more than I posted here...I took more than 500 on the day.

11 comments:

  1. Always look forward to the pics of your trip to the lake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I always look forward to going there too.

      Delete
  2. Once again thanks for sharing, I especially liked the Saratoga Automobile Museum Porsche Exhibit, absolutely beautifully shot photos of those amazing cars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The museum may not be all that big but I love going there anyway.

      Delete
  3. Your pictures make me feel like I was there. Beautiful shots of the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Electric car from the 70's? Awesome. The GE-100 looks like a Matchbox car from my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never even heard of it before, but I like it! I hope they put it in the museum with info displays eventually.

      Delete
  5. Looks like you had a great time! The googly eye on the duck cracked me up

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made a post about the GE 100 on the AACA forum and got some more info about it, including a reply from one of the people to took part in building it. https://forums.aaca.org/topic/363609-i-didnt-know-ge-made-cars/?tab=comments#comment-2226013

    ReplyDelete