Friday, August 6, 2021

Confirmation that I was right in being wrong (a typing project update)

 If you remember the other posts about this typing project, you may remember that I speculated that my counts were probably wrong. Well, as of today, I can eliminate the "probably". While I still have a ways to go, I've already exceeded how many cards I thought I had in one of the categories, and that turns out to be baseball. My records showed me that I had exactly 2736 baseball cards, and I've already typed in 2738 different...a small stack of 1989 Donruss put me over the "limit"

Although there don't appear to be any more in this 660 count box I'm currently typing, I still have more than a dozen 660 count boxes left to go. I highly doubt there won't be any more baseball cards among them, especially because I know for a fact there are some in my collection that have not been typed yet. So I KNOW there are more coming. 

Makes me wonder how far off I was totally...time will tell. 

A couple other thoughts from doing this: 

  • With how fast the typing has been going, I'm more and more sure that this was the right decision. I'm also now pretty sure that I should have done this in the first place, but I can't go fix that now. 
  • My 1993-94 Upper Deck NBA cards are, as a general rule, not in as good a condition as I remember them being. Almost every single one of them came to me second or more hand, I know it's not something I did, but still kind of frustrating. 
  • I'm still averaging about 1000 cards a day being typed. 
  • I will probably finish the typing this month. It's going faster than I thought it would. 
  • Even with multiple days off (the trip from my last post? I didn't type for 3 days, it took me two to process the pictures and get myself back in typing mode) it's STILL going faster than I expected
  • I realized I'm going to be able to figure out something I not only never knew before, but never even had a way to go about figuring out before. I debated between revealing it or not now and I'm going to- I'm going to know exactly how many people I have representing a team, for all three major sports that I collect (as well as football and baseball, which I don't actively collect, but still have into the 4 digits of for both)
  • I discovered that I don't just zone out if I'm scanning the same set for a while....typing a big batch of the same set, or even the same sport, will also make me zone out. 
  • I enjoy the boxes more when it's a mixture of everything. I believe all the remaining boxes are a mixture of topics.
  • Some of these cards I have not looked at since I got them, so even though I "knew" I had them, I didn't really remember them all that well. That's much more prevalent with the hockey cards. After collecting the NBA so heavily for so long I am much more familiar with them, not just the sets' designs but the actual cards themselves. I find I still have to look up more than a few hockey cards, whereas with NBA I've only had to look up a couple, always inserts. 
  • I discovered something I suspected but didn't fully know...the boxes don't hold as many cards as they say they do. I only counted two, a 900 counter which held 867, and a 500 counter that held 420 something, but I don't remember the exact number, didn't write it down. 
With how fast the typing project has been going, I expect this may be the last update I post until I finish stage 1. It's a three part project:
  1. Typing the cards in
  2. Proofreading and entering the dates I got the cards, if known
  3. Using the info to figure out some fun statistical stuff on my collection. 

2 comments:

  1. This project sounds intense. Have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I expect to finish either tomorrow or the next day...stage one at least! Still two stages to go...

    ReplyDelete