Saturday, August 21, 2021

My top 10 favorite Henrik Lundqvist cards in my collection

 Yesterday, Henrik Lundqvist retired. I kind of knew it was coming, what with the severe heart condition he has, but I wasn't looking forward to it, either. When I began watching the sport in late 2016, he quickly became my favorite player in the league, a role he has held ever since- even though he didn't play at all last year, and won't play going forward, he's still my favorite player. I'm sad I won't get to watch him play anymore, but I'm thrilled that I got the chance to see him play at all...becoming a fan of the sport so comparatively late I missed most of his career. I should add that it's because of him (and Mats Zuccarello, my favorite skater) that the Rangers became my favorite team. Most importantly, he will be able to spend time with his family now, always a plus. 

I thought I would take a look at my 10 favorite cards of the King. He's the only NHL person to clear the 100 card barrier in my collection, currently with 117 present. 

Please note that these cards are in chronological order- not ranked as #1-10. This is a tough choice but here we go:

2005-06 Power Play #148, his only rookie card in my collection. Drafted by the Rangers in the 7th round in 2000(! not first round is mind-baffling) he played in his native Sweden until the 2005-06 season. 
2011-12 Rookie Anthology Cyan Printing Plate #75. Not only my only 1/1 card of Henrik, the only 1/1 hockey card in my entire collection! 
2011-12 SP Game Used Authentic Fabrics Gold. The most I've paid for any card on this list, perhaps surprisingly, I saw this very card in a card shop in 2017 but balked at (or couldn't afford) the $50 asking price. When I went back to that shop, three hours away from home, in 2019, it was still there so I didn't walk away again, having regretted not getting it the first time I saw it. It's my only patch of his and one of three Rangers patches in my collection. 
2011-12 Upper Deck UD Canvas #C56 This is such an awesome photo! Taken from the camera in the net, this wide angle shot shows a great panorama of the World's Most Famous Arena, Madison Square Garden, the only building to host an NHL game I've ever been in, although it had the basketball court set up when I was there. This is probably my favorite photo in this post.
2012-13 Score #493. Holding the Vezina Trophy for being the best goaltender in the sport. Doesn't get much better than that if you're a goalie! 
2013-14 Panini Contenders #73. This was the very first card of him in my collection. The scan isn't so good, I didn't have as good a scanner when I got this card as I do now, I should really get it out and rescan it. 
2014-15 Upper Deck #132. Just a great photo! When I created my Alphabetical Directory of everyone in my collection, this was the card I chose for him. This iconic pose was seen many, many times after a Rangers victory. 
2015-16 Upper Deck #382. Another great photo taken at MSG, this one apparently taken in game, rather than post-game. It also looks like he's catching the Upper Deck logo, which is fun.
2018-19 The Cup Signature Renditions. I still can't believe I have his autograph in my collection! I didn't think I'd ever get any because they tend to sell for more than I can spend on a single card, but thanks to Kenny making me a great deal I was able to make it happen. 

2018-19 Upper Deck #374. Another great photo, and although he had one more UD flagship card after this one, this is a great "farewell" photo. I believe this is the only card in the list I pulled from a pack myself, possibly 2015-16 UD flagship. 

Like I said above, I'm really glad I got to see at least some of his career, my only real regret is that I didn't start watching the sport sooner. 

As an added bonus, when I visited MSG in January 2019, I actually got to hold one of his game used sticks for a photo shoot, still one of my favorite moments in adventuring. 


Although I have not been able to scan the last couple additions due to my arm injury that I've mentioned a few times, you can see most of my collection of his cards here: Henrik Lundqvist collection

Thanks for the memories! 

6 comments:

  1. This is a great tribute blog. I love Henrik so it's too hard to choose a favorite. Even though I do have other favorites as well, hockey just won't be the same without him. I'm glad you included your picture at MSG too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic career, if anyone deserved a ring it was the king. But happy he gets to leave on his own terms and enjoy the rest of his life with his family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, but at least he's got the Greatest to never win a title pretty well locked up.

      Delete
  3. Thought of you and Kenny immediately when I heard the news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you played a role in the autograph I have too!

      Delete