Friday, November 17, 2017

History's Calling

Are you reading this on your phone? In the past two decades, the cell phone has become a ubiquitous part of life. I know only one person who refuses to get one...everyone else has one, I even have two of them, one smart phone and one stupid phone. I can't imagine life without them, especially considering that since my TV died in 2016, I have been watching everything on my phone...it even allowed me to get into hockey.

But cell phones were not always the miniature computers they are now.

Like so:
This photo, taken in 1992 and appearing in the 1993 Action Packed set, may be the earliest card to show a cell phone. It's certainly the earliest card I've seen to show one. And, because it's Action Packed, it's also embossed, because that is what they did. The Action Packed cards generally don't scan well, though, because the scanner picks up on the embossedness (yes, I made up a word- if Shakespeare could do it so can I) and puts weird white lines on things....like his chin and nose. Almost like a reverse shadow.

The back of the card even captions the front photo:
1992 would turn out to be Kyle's best Cup season. Under the points system used from 2004-14, he would have won the Cup championship, in fact. He raced until 2008, and is currently a broadcaster for NBC. He still has the same haircut, although now it's kept in a ponytail.And is much grayer.  Felix Sabates still owns a portion of this team, now driven by Kyle Larson, although Chip Ganassi is now the primary owner of the team.

7 comments:

  1. Cell phones sure have come a long way since then. They were really clunky back then. Shakespeare would probably admire your "new" word. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much nostalgia in that card - from his phone to his hair, to his sponsors. Today that Mellow Yellow logo would be Mountain Dew, Winston would be Sprint, and there would be at least one logo on his hat - the blankness(is that a word?) is like seeing an NHL arena in the 80's.

    I've seen cell phones on early 90's baseball cards but I cant say for sure if they're older than your Petty card or not. I do have a card from 1990 that shows a player sitting at a computer. Which reminds me, I remember reading the back of a Dee Brown basketball card stating that his family was one of the first to own a personal computer. That seemed amazing at the time, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. 1993 was my first year with the sport so the nostalgia factor is very high for me! To be honest, I think the had may have had a logo and Action Packed airbrushed it away. They did that a lot in the 1993 set.
      I don't remember reading that about Dee Brown but that is pretty cool. We didn't get our first computer until 2000. Now I can't imagine life without them!

      Delete
  3. And now those old brick phones are crazy collectible too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Cool! It doesn't surprise me, as a collector, but I think it's great. They are part of history and should be preserved.

      Delete
  4. I have never read you on a computer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Kyle Petty card is all kinds of awesome

    ReplyDelete