Wednesday, January 24, 2018

COMC Christmas: Non-Sports

For Christmas 2017, my brother gave me $100 in COMC. I hit all of my collecting interests, but I spent the majority of the money on non-sports cards...vintage non-Sports. Mostly Pre-War...some of them being Pre-WWI, and one pre-Spanish American War!

Here they are, in the order of being scanned (not chronological)
1939 Player's Animals of the Countryside

2001 Inkworks Simpsons Mania Promo

1992 Impel DC Comics Hologram

1911 ATC Sights & Scenes of the World (Pan Handle Back)

1992 CMK Cars of the World

1910 Wills Drednaughts

1924 Player's Natural History

1930 Godfrey Phillips Evolution of the British Navy

1912 Wills Historic Events

1932 Wills Homeland Events

1932 Wills Homeland Events

1932 Wills Homeland Events

1915 Lambert & Butler Aviation

1931 Player's Poultry

1922 Wills Did You Know

1922 Wills Did You Know

1932 Lambert & Butler History of Aviation

1901 Ogden's Imperial or International Interest

1910 ATC Fish Series (Piedmont back)

1909-11 Hassan Animal Series

1909-11 Hassan Animal Series

1895 Arm & Hammer Beautiful Flowers

1910 ATC Flags of the World Silks
1953-54 Topps World on Wheels

1953-54 Topps World on Wheels

1956 Gum, Inc. Adventure

1994 Marvel Universe

1994 Marvel Universe
Some thoughts on the above cards:
  • With the exception of 1992 DC, 1910 ATC Fish Series, 1953-54 World on Wheels and 1994 Marvel Universe, all of the other sets are brand new to my collection, although I got more than one card from some of them here.
  • Several of the sets are non-sports sets but include some racing cards, which naturally I targeted for my collection. They still count as non-sports since they are just a couple (or less) of sports cards in a non-sport set.
  • I know of only three cards that depict an Edsel, and I now have two of them in my collection, as well as one parallel. 
  • I mentioned the two World of Wheels cards when I did my Non-Sports countdown, and the Apperson was the first card out of the box when the COMC order arrived, so you will see it again shortly when I post my Card of the Day project for January. 
  • I decided to get some of the 1994 Marvel Universe cards I needed after ranking the set 4th in my countdown- I now need 4 left to complete the set. 
  • The 1895 Arm & Hammer card is only my third card from the 1800s! Well, third and a half.
  • The Parthenon card has a metallic gold border that looks like it came out of the 90s or 00s, not 1910s
  • This is my first Silk. It's a somewhat forgotten subsection of non-sports cards that was popular briefly about 100 years ago. 
  • The Stoat did not come in a can. 
I'm going to get 4 or 5 posts out of the cards I purchased with the gift my brother gave me, but this is probably my favorite post. I believe it's also the first time I've gotten a squirrel and an Edsel into the same post- two of my absolute favorite subjects! 

26 comments:

  1. These are some really great cards. I love the squirrel....and even the stoat not in the can LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool stuff Billy. Most I haven't seen before

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't seen most of them before I found them for sale, either. Not uncommon with non-sports!

      Delete
  3. Some pretty cool cards there! Nice pick-ups!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great cards! Putting the finishing touches on a non-sports post that was inspired by you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't realize that you were in need of any '94 Marvel Universe. I have around 40-50 duplicates, so if you want to let me know what numbers you're looking for, I might be able to help you out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool post! I love the Hall-Marks Card....they reference that stuff all the time on Anyiqhes Roadshow, but I’ve never taken the time to learn.

    I think there are a few Japanese car sets with Edsels in them. I’ll have to dig around a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow. I've never seen any of them...cool! More to chase after. I have seen it on there as well...made me curious enough about it that I decided to check out the card.

      Delete
  7. OMG.I would say you did real well. I will be heading to Victoria BC in July and last time there two years ago a military collectable shop had stacks of early tobacco cards-will pick some up if they are still there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good luck on those! I really enjoy them, because there's such a wide variety of stuff covered.

      Delete
  8. King Alfred looks like he's talking on a cell phone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That must have been one fun package to open! Great stuff. I love the variety! Dirigibles always fascinate me so I love that one. And who doesn't like gold bordered anything? I got lucky when I first got back into collecting (2010) to pick up two pages worth of cards from that set from one eBay seller. At less than a blaster it's probably one of my better purchases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, nice find. I would love to complete it some day. I am a big fan of them as well. I wish I could have seen them in their heyday. I would go for a ride on the Goodyear blimp if I could.

      Delete
  10. I can’t believe that I actually owned one of these before you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which one? There's a lot here to choose from!

      Delete
    2. Ahh, I should have known that! It wasn't the only Indy card in this shipment...

      Delete
  11. Woof that "1901 Ogden's Imperial or International Interest" card is sweet. I love old ships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too...this set has been on my radar for a while but I hadn't picked a card to get, then I saw this one and the decision was made.

      Delete
  12. Great stuff! I need an Edsel card for my "We Didn't Start The Fire" project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This is the best one to get. The other is in the 2011 American pie set from Topps but doesn't show much of the actual car, focusing more on the woman in it. The one I don't have is a drawing.

      Delete