Sunday, February 17, 2019

My second Rainbow completed

I completed my second NASCAR rainbow this month, with some help from a friend. Now, you might be saying "Second, what's the first?" and I will get to that in time...for years I've been trying to figure out which one of my scans corrupted. I knew I had lost exactly one scan to corruption but I didn't know which one. Well, I found out...when I went looking for it to post in a thread I began composing in August 2018. I knew which set it was, and, low and behold, it happens to be the one I completed the rainbow on. <audible sigh>. So, eventually, you will get to see my first completed NASCAR rainbow.

For now, you get to see my 2nd completed NASCAR rainbow, and one that I completed sort of by accident.

In COMC's 2018 Spring Cleaning event, I was just scrolling through the Serial Numbered NASCAR cards, and happened to come across the two you see in this thread- I actually purchased the lower numbered example first, then went back and got the higher numbered card. I thought to myself, hey, I can complete this rainbow- I had gotten the base card when the set was new. So I go to purchase the one-per-pack unnumbered parallel...and there are none for sale on COMC. I check Ebay, something I don't do too often...none there either. Disappointed, I thought to myself, "maybe someday" and that's the end of the action until January 2019.

It was during that month that I was finally able to get back onto NUTS- the NASCAR Underground Trading Society- the all-NASCAR card forum that I was active on from 2009 to whenever my laptop decided to not let me in to it. For several years now, my laptop that died in November would not let me log in. I would enter my username and password, it would let me see the home page, but click on any thread and it went straight back to the log in page, and entering the same password, it would just kick back to the log in page. I don't know what caused it, but on my new computer, I entered in the exact same username and password, and it worked the first time and has continued working ever since.

Anyway, I thought to put up a thread looking for a copy of the card, and within 24 hours I had one in the mail coming to me, with nothing asked for in return, because that's just how the NUTS members are. Showing up in the mail on February 5th, my second NASCAR rainbow was complete!


This is 2000 MVP #69- Base, Silver Script (the card that just arrived), Gold Script and Super Script, my first Super from NASCAR, which is numbered to the driver's car number.

Today Darrell Waltrip is mostly known as a goofball broadcaster, but people forget that he was, at the time of his retirement, the 4th-winningest driver ever, and still ranks 5th all time, with 84 wins. (behind only Richard Petty's 200, David Pearson's 105, Jeff Gordon's 92 and Bobby Allison's 85). 2000 was his final season, and the final season where NASCAR did not have an exclusive license. (Beginning in 2001, only Press Pass was allowed to make NASCAR cards). The photo, however, was taken in 1999, as all photos in the 2000 MVP set were. I know for a fact I watched every single race of the 1999 season, but unfortunately I don't really remember too much of the season.

It really is awesome to complete a NASCAR rainbow, and it's not very often I get a level 2 parallel, let alone a level 3 parallel, yet I did here. The first rainbow I completed only goes two levels of parallel.

Fun fact- these cards were scanned using two different scanners, on three different computers!

Big thanks to NUTS member Redwire for sending me the Silver Script!

The NASCAR season starts today...my 27th season watching the sport. I have been anxiously awaiting it's return since as soon as it ended in November.

11 comments:

  1. Very impressive! Glad you were able to get back on that board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Unfortunately most of the active members seem to have left. It seems they like Panini even less than I do!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I wrote this post up a few days ago, I got out the card with the corrupted scan. Look for rainbow #1 later this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Man, I really dislike exclusive license deals. Kills innovations! Thanks for sharing the rainbow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too...has to be the worst thing to happen to the hobby.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on completing this rainbow! Love the look of this Waltrip UD MVP cards. And wow... Petty was truly the king. 200 wins? That's almost double of #2 on the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He still holds the record for most consecutive wins (10) and wins in a season (27), both set in 1967. Pearson only ran the full schedule 4 times, one of the big mysteries of the sport is what he could have accomplished if he ran the full year, every year.

      Delete
  6. These cards look very nice together, and I like the blue-bordered Super Script a lot more than the plain Super Script parallels in MVP hockey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not seen any of the hockey ones yet, but I know the NBA Supers are just the base design with holofoil instead of the standard bronze. I like this one better too!

      Delete
  7. I'm a big Darrell Wallace fan and used to work at KMart so I love these cards. Congrats on grabbing the rainbow. I'm trying to collect all the KMart 1:24 scale diecast cars but still have a ways to go. Great post.

    ReplyDelete