Thursday, February 28, 2019

Time to make a decision

At the very end of January I wrote up a long post questioning if I should integrate my post cards and NASCAR hero cards into my overall card collection. In that post I was getting somewhat enthusiastic about the prospects of adding the Hero Cards to my collection, but noted that I hadn't gotten any since 2011 or so.

Well...
five days after I published that post was the Town of Newburgh Model Car Club meeting, and what happens right after I walk in the door? My friend gives me this hero card, from 1986! It's from that time of transition where it's larger, starting to have text and info on the back, but still has space for a stamp.

It's time to decide- do I count this as part of my NASCAR card collection? Or do I keep it as a separate collection? I don't really know what to do. It's from an era that predates traditional cards for the sport, those only began in 1988. It shows a bodystyle, the 1986-87 Pontiac Grand Prix 2+2, that is very rare to see on cards. It features Ron Bouchard, the 1981 Rookie of the Year, who only has 8 cards in my collection currently, and his time with the Curb Racing team is not represented among them.

If I do decide to integrate it into my collection, it would require me to enter one line of text in an Excel chart, and give Hero Cards an album on Cardboard History Gallery...that's pretty much it. It would get copy and pasted into Bouchard's album on or shortly after March 1st, like I would do with any other scan, as well. I currently only have 4 of the 8 cards in my collection fully scanned, so Bouchard could certainly use the boost.

I wish I wasn't so indecisive.

11 comments:

  1. Love that card. Only you can answer your question. that's the great thing about collecting. You get to categorize stuff as you see fit. ;-)

    BTW...here is a neat write-up on the GP2+2 and it's Chevy cousin. I don't think I ever saw one on the street and now I know why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ive seen the Pontiac at car shows, don't think I've ever seen one in the wild. I have seen Aerocoupes but only a few times.

      Delete
  2. I just love the fact that he drove his car out into the middle of a field for this photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it looks like they didn't bother to even mow the lawn!

      Delete
  3. That's a cool shot. Don't think I've ever seen a NASCAR car that looked like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This bodystyle was only used in 1986 and 1987 and only by a handful of teams. It was not very successful, with only one win in 1986.

      Delete
  4. I would keep hero cards separate. They are more of a photo to me.

    Great photo on this one regardless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of them literally are just photos, those tend to be from the teams who can't afford to print both sides.

      Delete
  5. There are all kinds of post cards in the Baseball Card Almanacs, so they still count, even if only as a local oddball issue kind of thing.
    For that little bit of work, and such small volume, it's worth it. I wouldn't be inclined to gather them in such volume that they would surpass your regular cards or anything, but it's a nice accessory collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they could surpass traditional cards even if I had a complete collection, which I am nowhere near.

      Delete
  6. I've made a decision. Stay tuned for another post on the topic later today.

    ReplyDelete