Sunday, July 14, 2019

Holy Blueshirts, Batman!

I had to make a trip to the local vintage dealer to try and find some stuff to fulfill some trades...and I am not sure yet how successful that was, waiting to hear back from a potential trade partner, and I forgot to look for what I specifically went to look for to send off to Bo Rosny...blame it on sleep deprivation or just stupidity, or maybe I was distracted by the 9 classic cars I saw, highlighted by a 1952 Studebaker. I am very sure, however, that I found some great stuff for me.

These three 1966 Batman cards were right on the front counter when I got there...I only had one card from the Black Bat set before, so these are my first two Red Bat cards, and my second black bat! These cards were on my radar for quite a long time and I was thrilled to finally find one a couple years ago...I'm sure I posted about it. Now I've quadrupled my collection. As you may recall, I had my first DC Comic read to me at 5 days old, and I've been in the hobby ever since. So these are right up my alley...None are in perfect shape but they are good enough for me, I am happy and won't need to look for an upgrade.

What I really didn't expect to do today was buy these Rangers cards. This is the same dealer I visited on my first day collecting the sport, where I got the really high quality 1957-58 card I've shown a few times. He always had more vintage Rangers but I never wanted to pony up the money and pay for them.
The 1960-61 Harry Howell is in a bit of rough shape, but the Langlois and McKenney from 1963-64 are pretty much pack fresh! I've been putting off buying these now since 2017, and I couldn't do it any longer. I have not bought any cards for myself in person since March, but I couldn't not get these. The dealer is a friend but he's also in business and was talking about selling them to a guy who comes in looking for Rangers stuff...he had noticeably gotten binders of Rangers ranging from 1972-73 to the mid-90s out, before I got there, so I decided that I would be unhappy at myself if I let them get away...so I didn't. I just mentioned last week that the 1965-66 set is my favorite from the 1960s and that I didn't have any...well, he had one. But it had tape residue on the front, so I left that one behind, and another from the 1966-67 set that had some discoloration I couldn't identify. I may lose out on getting the complete Rangers team sets of the 1970s and early/mid 80s, but I won't lose out on the 60s and even 50s cards!

Every 60s hockey card in my collection has come from this same dealer, although I've added 50s from a card show. The Howell is my first card from the 1960-61 set.

I had to add a comic, as well. Once I saw the cover, how could I not?
I have not read it yet but I know this is going to be great...of course there is a pretty high odds of this image not appearing anywhere in the book, too. I don't care. Charlton comics have their own certain charm to them. This is only the third classic comic I've added in 2019. I'm not building up my old car fund like I had hoped, but at least it's easy to keep up with new additions, lol.

While I missed getting pictures of most of the old cars I saw, I did manage to find this 1981 Ford LTD in the parking lot where I went.
Although I've never been in an LTD sedan, we had several LTD wagons when I was a little kid, so I have good memories of the LTD model.

And, edit to add- I heard back from my trade partner while I was composing this post, and he's happy with what I picked up, so the trip was mostly successful...if only I had remembered to grab something for Bo. I guess I'll have to go back next week.

9 comments:

  1. Fifties Studebakers rock! I love DeSotos too! I've got a bunch of wallpaper pictures of them on my home work computers along with Pontiacs and Cadillacs from the same period

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my favorite era of car design...there's not a single one from the decade that I dislike!

      Delete
  2. Space War! That cover is really fantastic, and you're probably right about the image not appearing in the story, but who cares, it's Space War! Oh, and any day that one is able to get some '66 Batman's, is a good day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read it yesterday, and it does appear inside. Some of the book was laughable (space communists) and one of the stories was actually depressing...a wider range than I expected.

      Delete
  3. My god, my parents had that card when I was a kid. It's so weird seeing it out of the blue like this on a card blog. And their car was this exact same colour and model. Man, I want to buy one now and freak my parents out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was for sale! I want to buy another wagon too.

      Delete
  4. My mom had an early 80's Ford LTD Crown Victoria. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we should plan a trip just for car museums. We could go to Northeast Classic, Packard, Duesenberg, Gilmore, Ford ama whatever else you find. Of course, winning Lottery would help a lot.

    ReplyDelete