Wednesday, July 31, 2019

A sampling of some of the baseball cards from Shane

A while back I posted a really cool hockey card that came from a box that Shane of Shoebox Legends sent me. I promised that someday I would show some of the baseball cards that were in the box as well.

Now, this is just a very small sampling...and may even include cards from a different box, also from Shane, because, while I do have it written down, I didn't actually pull up my notes to make sure. It just didn't seem important to leave out a card or two if it came from a different box, when they are all from the same source and the same topic, you know?

And I've just scratched the surface...I'm a little overwhelmed by life right now so most of what I've gotten since last September or so is socked away for a later date. I do have a plan formulating with them, but I'll reveal more on that at some future date...if I stick with it. I may change my mind...

 2015 Topps was just a great design. So good that I posted both of the cards I scanned from the set, instead of just one.
 I'm assuming that he must have had a bunch of these as the Red Sox are his team.
 1987 Topps Update


 I know these two are both the same set as well, but they are a different design, so I posted them both as well.
 1988 O-Pee-Chee...photo apparently taken during a nuclear blast as he really looks like that on card.
 1987 Donruss. I like the little ball design on the sides.
 I like this design as well. I have been (finally) working on scanning the 2016-17 Donruss NBA set, which pays homage to this design. I like that as well.
 1989 Fleer
 1994 Pinnacle. I actually know someone named Steven Cook, but he has no E on his name.
 1994-95 Fleer Excel, a minor league card.  Why the Emeralds have blue sleeves is unknown to me.
2005 Donruss Team Heroes...a set I had never even heard of before this one came out of the team bag.


 This set is pretty hated in the hobby, and the complaints are valid...team logo partially obscured, 3 of the 4 corners of the image lost to computer generated graphics...but in hand, it's not really all that noticeable or distracting, to me.
 I actually like the back of the 1992 Donruss design more than the front.
 I love the 1991 Fleer set. The yellow is so bright and cheerful, it just makes me smile to see it. I do feel like the card back design could have benefitted from swapping the border and info box colors, the yellow on the cardstock used for the back is dulled a little.
 The 1992 Pinnacle design, I'm not a fan of. They used it in hockey too. It's just kind of...meh.
1991 Upper Deck. It's ok but I fail to see the set as groundbreaking, as UD is usually claimed to be...maybe that's just the earlier sets. There's nothing wrong with the card, by any means, it's just not even my favorite 1991 card in this post.

 Food promos are always fun. This one appears to be Panini style, IE, scrubbed of all logos.
 1993 Topps. This design was used in baseball and football but never appeared in hockey or basketball for some reason. I actually like the design better than those used for the NBA or NHL instead.
 This isn't baseball, obviously, but it felt like a good place to fit it in. I like national team cards in the sports I actually collect, but only one or two countries ever get representation. So, it was pretty cool to see six different countries on the six cards from this set that I pulled out of the box.
2019 Topps. This would be a really great design if the names were not backwards. That's just stupid, and it kills the whole thing, in my opinion. Everything else is great.

1984, the year of my birth, was the only year I was missing in my collection from the debut of standard sized cards in 1957 to the 1994 lockout. Shane took care of that, sending me a bunch of them. That's a pretty good collection for somebody who doesn't actively collect the sport, if I don't say so myself!

I missed scanning 2012 Topps and 2007 UD Future Stars, but they will have to wait, as I've filled the cases and it's time for a sorting/Excel chart updating again. I didn't wait to wait any longer to get these posted.

9 comments:

  1. Lots of variety in this post. In the next few weeks, I'll be going through a pair of shoeboxes filled with cards I grabbed at the flea market. I'm sure I'll be donating 99% of the cards to Goodwill. Wish you lived closer to me. I'd rather donate them to a collector who'd appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Glad you got some enjoyment (and a blog post!) out of the baseball stuff Billy. I usually try to go heavy on hockey but sometimes don't have enough to fill the box, and I know you appreciate any and all cardboard. I'm sure I'll have more cards off to you soon as I continue my purge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure do! I've added so many new people to my collection from these boxes, it's amazing!

      Delete
  3. I love the 2015 Topps and 1994 Pinnacle sets. And the '86 Donruss Daryl Boston was one of the first cards I ever had as a kid. I don't hate 2016 Topps as much as most collectors do, and that last-name-first B.S. in the 2019 set bothers me, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the 2015 Topps design, but the Pinnacle design is just kind of "meh" for me. Maybe if I collected it when new I'd have some sort of sentimental attachment to it?

      Delete
  4. The 2019 name reversal thing doesn't bother me. In fact, I'm not sure I noticed it before people started complaining about it. The funny thing is that they reversed it in the UEFA soccer set. Not sure if that's due to complaints, or due to one-named soccer players.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever it takes to get it done right, I'm all for it!

      Delete
  5. 2015 Topps really is a great design. The '88 Score really brings back a bunch of memories. And I'm with you on the names on the '19 cards. Great post.

    ReplyDelete