Tuesday, March 17, 2020

NBA Milestone hit

I hit an NBA milestone this week...sort of. I discovered it this week, but I don't know when I hit it actually.

Kevin Durant became the first player from my "missing years" to reach 100 cards scanned in my collection!
Although when I screencapped this I had them sorted alphabetically, he actually ranks tied for 157th overall with Jamal Crawford.

I now consider the break I took from the NBA from mid-2006-07 through the 2010-11 playoffs one of the biggest mistakes of my life. Since I've come back to the sport, though, the card landscape has changed dramatically. Instead of three companies producing cards, there is now only one. And they don't produce that many cards. Couple that with my lower degree of money spent on the hobby, and the fact that I'm splitting what I do have to spend even farther, now that I'm collecting the NHL and non-sports as well, something I was not doing in 2006, it means the cards aren't adding up as quickly as they did in the past.

So, it's taken a while for any of the people who entered the league in my lost years to reach 100 cards. I don't know when I got my first Kevin Durant card- I know it's his base card from either 2012-13 Hoops or 2012-13 Prestige, but I can't remember which one anymore- I could determine it if I pulled out my paper listing- but, finally, he's gotten there...and even gone a little past that, with 103 cards scanned.

Note I say scanned, and not in my collection...that's because I only enter the cards into the chart after they have been scanned. There's a pretty good chance I have more waiting to be scanned, since from 2012-2017 I put aside any that were already posted to the Database, and worked on only what needed scans. I finished that in 2017 and am now scanning all the cards I set aside.

The next closest person is actually Kevin Love, currently with 83 cards scanned, placing him tied for 208th with Brian Shaw and Eric Williams. I've stepped up my adding of cards of him ever since I found out we are very distantly related. I thought it would be Steph Curry, but he only has 78 cards scanned. Blake Griffin has one more card scanned then Steph (being the Panini spokesman pays dividends, I suppose!) and the fifth highest person who entered the league during my lost years is Russell Westbrook, with 68 cards scanned.

That's about what I expected, other than Griffin. I expected Westbrook to not be too far behind Steph, and I was correct.

Derrick Rose, James Harden, DeAndre Jordan, Mike Conley, John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, Jeremy Lin and Rudy Gay have all cleared the 50 card barrier. All of whom came into the league in my lost years.

Anthony Davis is the highest ranked person from my 2nd NBA period (2012-13 to present) with 62 cards scanned.  Damian Lillard at 56 is the only other person from that time to clear 50.

In case you are interested...or in case I want to know at some point in the future...this is the 100th card I typed into the chart.
2018-19 Hoops #5.

5 comments:

  1. So then you probably don't have many cards from when you stepped away from the sport?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No 2007-08 through 2010-11 are gaping holes, except for 2008-09 Topps Tipoff and 2010-11 Panini Season Update. I only have about 600 cards from 2010-11, and 220 of them are from the hobby box of Season Update you gave me for Christmas in 2014.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on reaching that milestone. I was collecting Durant for a little bit... until I stopped buying basketball... but I doubt I have more than 20 different cards of him. I mainly targeted his low-end rookie cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only rookie card I have of his is the Topps base card. I'd like to have more but they are out of my price range. I missed my chance to get them by being out of the sport during that time... Steph Curry the next year as well.

      Delete
  3. Congrats and hardly anyone better than K.D. to hit the milestone with. Such a great player and can't wait to see him back on the court next year. It was fun watching him play in the NBA2K tournament last night.

    ReplyDelete