Friday, July 24, 2020

Adding a card I never thought possible

There are some cards I don't think I'll ever be able to get. I have a pretty strict self-imposed price limit, and some cards just don't come down below that.

A couple of those cards have ended up on my Top 10 Most wanted list. Since I recently (4 years now!) got into hockey, I've discovered that my favorite player- Henrik Lundqvist- has autographed a lot of cards for Upper Deck. However, he's many people's favorite, not just mine. His autograph seemed like something I would never be able to get.

Enter Kenny, the president of the Luis Torrens Fan Club....who made me an offer I couldn't refuse!

This incredible card joined my collection yesterday! (or today, as I'm writing it). I can't believe it. I can't believe I actually have his autograph in my collection. It's the first one I've ever even actually SEEN in person! And I saw it in my own hands!

The year is just about only half over, but I suspect that this will be THE card of the year for me.

I now have the autographs of my favorite player in all three of the sports I follow!

This is only the second card in my collection from The Cup brand, an ultra-high-end set that is WELL out of my price range. It's the hockey equivalent of Exquisite Collection.

I don't know if I'm properly conveying how important this card is for me. I can write for hours on end about cards, but this one has left me pretty much speechless.

Here's the back...


Oh, and that's not all. It wasn't just this one card that arrived to me. I knew there would be others, but as is typical for Kenny, he sent more than was expected...much more!




And there's more. I've only scanned a fraction, these aren't even all of the cards of Henrik Lundqvist he sent me!

Thank you so much!

13 comments:

  1. Glad you got the cards, and I'm happy that the Hank auto means so much to you. Told you we'd make it work ;).

    Also, thanks for your part of the deal too, I've currently got a 1/1 AD printing plate headed my way right now thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice, I love printing plates. I have a bunch waiting for me at COMC, there were a lot under $3 that I scooped up a while back. None are AD caliber players though, and it sounds like we both ended up happy with this deal.

      Delete
  2. Never knew Lundqvist's autographs were so elusive. Great work, Kenny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a ton out there, but they are usually above my price range. The auto parallel of the banner year card is currently at around $300 on COMC, for example.

      Delete
    2. I've found the King Henrik auto market to be, weird. And that's on top of how already weird the hockey card market (outside of Young Guns) is. He's got a lot of autographs and in the grand scheme of things they're a lot more affordable than other players of his caliber, pedigree and market (for reference, Derek Jeter autos are routinely $200, Knicks era Carmelo Anthony autos are about $40, and Eli Manning autos are around $60). But Henrik autos can go for anywhere between $25 to $50 on the lower end of the spectrum if you get lucky with an auction. And the lower priced ones tend to be because they're shipped from Canada and you have to consider a double digit shipping fee. I've seen a handful of nice ones at my local card shows over the years but they're all priced accordingly because I'm smack dab in Rangerstown. So the challenge is finding one that's about the price of a blaster. Which is never, or if it is it's because shipping is about the same price.

      Delete
  3. Zippy's zappings are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is the second trade we did and both saw me get much more than expected!

      Delete
  4. Wow that is fantastic! Congrats on that addition Billy, what a great gift!

    ReplyDelete