Sunday, July 12, 2020

Lost & Found: The largest item in my card collection

You'd think it'd be impossible to lose something this large, but when you hoard as much as I do...it's really not.

 This giant Topps advertisement for the 1999-00 set is huge...and I rescued it from the garbage. My original hobby shop was going to throw it away, as I remember it I happened to be in the right place at the right time yet again and saved it right before he folded it in half to fit it into his garbage can. Most of my collection has been gathered by being in the right place at the right time, and that doesn't just apply to the cards.

Rather than just tell you how large it is, I got a standard sized card to put next to it. I don't have any 1999-00 Topps handy, but the John Starks card from 1994-95 Fleer was next on the "To be scanned" stack so got the call. It may be hard to tell but the six sample card images are slightly larger than standard card sized, probably about the same size as the larger card size Topps used before 1957.
It's no tin perfect shape...the corners are dinged, there's some surface damage, and there's a tiny hole in Gary Payton's forehead to be able to hang the poster from the ceiling...all of which happened before I got it. But I don't care, I'm happy to have it...when do you see stuff like this? It's identical on both sides, and Gary and the Topps logo are a separate piece made to stand out from the background...although pretty much flat by now, since it had stuff placed on top of it before I got my hands on it.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! That is in remarkably good shape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was working at my LCS when this product was out... and I don't remember seeing this display piece. I would have begged my boss for it and then hung it up in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your shop was not part of the Topps Home Team Advantage program they wouldn't have gotten it. It's exclusive to that program, which is the yellow circle around the Topps logo on the bottom right.

      Delete
  3. Nice, this is the kind of stuff that needs rescued! I was in Japan during this time so wouldn’t have seen it, but sure glad you did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad I was able to! I have never seen another...not that I would even know what to look for!

      Delete