Wednesday, July 8, 2020

My first NHL Redemption card!

A while back my mom surprised me with a blaster of 2018-19 Artifacts, and I pulled a redemption card. When I turned it over, I was pleased to see that it didn't expire until 2021. I promptly logged in and redeemed it...amazingly, I remembered my username and password because the last time I redeemed a card via UD was all the way back in 2005! (Although it only shows two cards...when I know I redeemed several dozen via the website that are no longer listed. Maybe they age off after 17 years?)

It turned into this, which arrived on July 3rd:
So, not only is it my first successful NHL redemption, it's also my first card of Murphy! And I would not be surprised if it turns out to be my ONLY card of him ever. The 8 games he played in 2017-18 that got him this card is his only NHL experience. He spent all of 2018-19 in the AHL, with the Roadrunners and then the Gulls. He is currently playing for Kunlun Red Star in the KHL. While the KHL does issue cards, I don't have access to them. So this may be it...

I was surprised by the fact that the card was mailed out of North Carolina. Knowing UD is a west coast company, I expected it to be shipped out of California or Nevada...nope.

It wasn't the first redemption I pulled...but the first I was able to redeem. The first I pulled was from the 2014-15 Ultra set, but I didn't pull the card until 2019, so I was out of luck.
This is what the redemption looked like.

Thanks for reading.

10 comments:

  1. Interesting card; glad you got it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, just got my rookie redemptions from Artifacts the other day too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! A member of the Database also got redemptions the same day...seems like they must have sent a bunch.

      Delete
  3. Cool story and good memory to have associated with the card. I always loved getting one card of a really obscure player with just a few games of NHL experience like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! My first card of an obscure guy is always more interesting than my 220th card of a superstar.

      Delete
  4. That's a pretty card. I don't keep up with hockey releases but when I see a set like this I go find some Rangers from it.

    As for redemption cards, I have stumbled over only one since I buy so little new stuff. I got a Jim Perry signed card thru a redemption via a Topps pack of something a few years ago. Getting the card in the mail from Topps was more fun than I thought it would be. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting a redemption is always a thrill! I have pulled a bunch over the years but at least a third of them had already expired.

      Delete
  5. Congrats! I can't remember the last time I pulled a redemption, but you'll always remember the first time you pulled one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately the first one I pulled was long expired...I finally got the card on COMC more than 20 years later. It was from the 1994 Action Packed Hall of Fame NBA set.

      Delete