Wednesday, August 12, 2020

What took me so long?

As you may recall, I set my goal for 2020 to be "Finish Scanning the cards I got for Christmas 2019 before Christmas 2020". Even though it was more than 800 cards, I got it done on January 5th, and in the post where I talked about it, I alluded to the fact that I still had big stacks of cards from previous Christmases waiting for scans. I apparently never officially mentioned that I had made getting the Christmas 2018  cards scanned my new goal, although I thought I did (perhaps I did on the Database only?) but I didn't really work on it at all. I think I did two pages of each of the 4 sets...if that much. I may have done only one of the Olympic set. 

I couldn't let them hang over my head anymore, and attacked the stacks on August 10th...and I'm wondering what took me so long, because I'm typing this at 4:19 AM on August 12th...and they are all scanned. I have not labeled them yet- I will do that when I finish typing the majority of this post. It took me only about 2 days- not even a full 48 hours- to get them all scanned! 

It was 84 cards from 2018-19 Hoops...
63 from 2018-19 O-Pee-Chee, which unfortunately many of the cards came out of the box with damage. (there are two spots of damage on the front of this card)
81 from 2018 Topps US Olympic & Paralympic Team Hopefuls, 
and 53 from 2018 Donruss NASCAR, which is the one set I had worked on the most, so I had less to do this time. 
Giving me a grand total of 281 cards. Again, I don't know why I put it off for so long. It's not like they were hard to do, there was not a mirror foil, chrome, not even any die cut, in the bunch. It's not lack of interest, because these were all card I asked for. It's certainly not laziness as I've scanned about 10,000 cards since I got these.  I think it's just because I'm scatterbrained, and will burn out fairly quickly if I do large batches of the same sets over and over...unless I'm in the mood for doing that sort of batch, which I have been the past two days. 

Interestingly, the O-Pee-Chee stack was physically largest, since those cards are so much thicker than the others. 

Also interesting: I scanned a card of both Tyler Johnsons, which I believe is the first time I have ever scanned a card of two different people with the same name on the same day that were not a Sr-Jr. scenario!



That's definitely it for my 2020 goal. While I do still have large batches of cards I got for Christmases in 2017, 2016, 2015, etc. awaiting scans, they would be much more challenging to pick out. I had the Christmas 2018 cards in their own box, not mixed in with everything else. 

I currently don't have any goals planned for 2021. But, I only settled on the goal for 2020 on December 31st, 2019, so I still have plenty of time. 

9 comments:

  1. Nice job Billy! As usual, yours scans are breathtakingly awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I take the time and effort to make sure they are the best I can possibly do with the technology I have.

      Delete
  2. Two days worth of scanning... or a week of professional development on Zoom? Not sure what I'd rather do less. Glad you're finished though. I still have one webinar today and one more tomorrow. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what I'd rather do! I like scanning...talking on camera, not so much. Good luck!

      Delete
  3. Your scans are always top notch and documentation second to none. I could never do this to my collection. Way too much and not enough time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you could. It would just take a while. There's no time limit or rush. I'm in year #11 of scanning. I expect it will take me 20 years or more to do them all. Some days the going is slow and I get less than 20 cards done, other times I get "in the zone" and can pop out 250 cards scanned in one day. I'd get a lot more done if my mind didn't wander so often. Hmm, is it time to play another round of Angry Birds yet? :)

      Delete
  4. That's some serious productivity right there, go Billy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job and a lot of work. Good on ya. Nice looking Tarasenko! Good post.

    ReplyDelete