Wednesday, September 23, 2020

A Lake George run

 We were scheduled to spend a week in Lake George, capped off with the Adirondack Nationals, which is my favorite week of the year. Well, then the coronavirus happened. Put an end to that. However, knowing that many of the cars would be in town anyway, my brother and I made a one-day trip up and back, along the way stopping at the Saratoga Automobile Museum so I could see the Dyson Exhibit, and say goodbye to the two cars from the permanent collection that they are auctioning off this coming weekend (or they have already by the time I publish this, not sure)


Our first stop was the Capital District Welcome Center. It opened last year and has become a favorite stop.
Me in front of the bas relief of the Albany skyline.
The new exit on the Northway, specifically for the Albany International Airport, is now open. They said it would open during 2020 and they were correct. 

This photo, of the Twin Bridges over the Mohawk River, is my favorite photo from the entire trip.

Part of the reason for going on this adventure was to get my favorite places for my Places I've Been project, which I began last October- just weeks after we had been in Lake George. 
Does this business make you bloggers think of anyone? :) 
Now at the Saratoga Automobile Museum, we see the Dyson Racing exhibit. Dyson Racing is based in Poughkeepsie, NY, which is the next town from me. 

One of the cars in their Auction is the van used in the Dumb & Dumber movie. I've never seen it and have no intention to, but you better believe I will photograph the van.


The most famous Dyson car.
An actual AAR Eagle.

1913 Isotta Fraschini race car. There are better lit images in the album, but this photo is just too cool.

An unrestored Model T.
This Pierce-Arrow...
...and the Maxwell are the two that are being sold at auction. The 1910 Maxwell- the second oldest car in the museum- is being sold with no reserve so it was absolutely my last chance to see it. It's the only Maxwell I've ever seen. I'm quite unhappy they are leaving. Maxwell, if you don't know, became Chrysler, after Walter P. Chrysler bought it and renamed it after himself in the early 1920s. He would later buy Dodge Brothers and launch Plymouth, DeSoto and Imperial, becoming one of the "Big Three" auto companies, with Ford and General Motors. 
This Franklin Airman was once owned by Charles Lindbergh, and was also once part of the Henry Ford Museum collection. 

One of the cars used in filming the Christene movie. Which I refuse to watch since I know what they do to one of the cars. 
After we left the museum, we had to get lunch, and Long John Silver's was the choice...long one of our favorites, we can only get it up there. Well, it was drive-through only...what to do. We couldn't get chicken grease on the steering wheel or my camera, so my brother had the idea to use some of the gloves that my mom keeps in the car- and it worked perfectly! We were both able to eat and then just took off the gloves- no grease on our hands at all. Perfect. Now every time I look at this image it makes me hungry for more. If only it wasn't almost 3 hours away...
The Northway in Queensbury- one of my favorite views in the world. Prospect Mountain in the distance, a place we have been.
Didn't expect to see an airplane in the water!


I always knew this is the exact spot I would take my photo for Lake George in my Places I've Been project.


Lake George isn't ALL about the water, there's also scenes like this.

Now, while the Adirondack Nationals were cancelled, many of the cars went up anyway...and there was all kinds of controversy about it. So much so that they may not allow the show to come back, which would really stink. But here are some old cars anyway. 






We didn't actually get out of the car in Lake George. It may be our only trip there this year, I don't know yet. I sure hope not.

The photos are broken up into three places on my website: Lake George 2020 Dyson Racing Exhibit 2020 Adirondack Nationals

As an aside, Blogger seems to have changed the photo addition tool in the middle of creating this post, so if the sizing is off that's why. 

12 comments:

  1. I haven’t been to Lake George in about 25 yrs. I’ve got to make it back there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! But wait until everything reopens, it's not normal right now.

      Delete
  2. I wonder how much the Dumb & Dumber van sold for. Love that movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The results should be available online, I will see if I can find them.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for taking us on the trip with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fantastic voyage, Billy! Glad you got up there even if it had to be shortened to a day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are hoping to get another day trip before the end of the year... probably when Saratoga changes the exhibit in November. I missed the one that ran at the end of 2019-start of 2020. A lot of variables so time will tell.

      Delete
  5. PUNCH-BUGGY BLUE. (Did anyone else play that VW Beetle game?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't ever heard about it until it was referenced on the Simpsons.

      Delete
  6. Graet photos and the first one on the bridge really came out cool.

    ReplyDelete