Sunday, September 13, 2020

Space Farms Zoo & Museum

 It's been a long time since I got to write an Adventure post...it's been a long time since we've been able to go on one. My brother and I went on three this past week, the first time since this whole covid thing began. 

The most spectacular was Space Farms Zoo & Aquarium, which is located in Wantage, New Jersey. It has nothing to do with outer space, but rather was founded by a family with the unusual last name of Space. 

We saw maybe...maybe...25% of it. and I took over 1000 photos. 

The main room when you go in is jam-packed with stuff. More American Indian artifacts than I've ever seen before, some of which were passed down from the Space family, which is partly Minisink. Others were found on the grounds which now make up the zoo. 

I can't possibly post them all here, but I will post some. All are on my website so you can view them at your leisure.














Just when you think you've seen it all, there's a whole 'nother room!






Now we finally made it outside, and got to see some animals. The chickens and geese are free range, the rest are in pens. You can feed them if you want but I chose not to.






We didn't even get into the antique tools building, I took this shot below through the open door.

Glow in the dark minerals were really cool!










Their car section is incredible! I photographed 8 new brands there, which is the most in a single day for me since 2003, when I visited the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Museum in Indiana. All but two of the cars here are pre-War, and a good number are pre-WWI as well. This is just a small example






















It was a really fun place and close enough to home that visiting it regularly is not out of the question. If you want to see all the photos, you can see them on my website here: Space Farms

Thanks for reading! 

9 comments:

  1. I feel like I remember seeing a TV advertisement for Space Farms back when I was a kid. Regardless, it looks like you had a great time! That antique car garage is fantastic. Model T Ford snowmobile? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They actually have conventions up in Lake George sometimes, but I always find out about them after they are done.
      I'd like to go if I could.

      Delete
  2. "Come explore, the WILD side...at Space Farms!"

    I live pretty near Space Farms, and about 20 years ago I worked for a radio which they advertised pretty heavily on. I recall going there to do a live broadcast at one point. It was a lot of fun...I remember some adorable lion cubs. I also remember them having a bit of an issue with the local authorities--they would go around and collect roadkill deer to feed to their lions and such, and for some unfathomable reason the local authorities objected. I mean, I can understand the objection to killing animals, but they weren't killing anything, just collecting the carcasses from accidents and putting them to good use. Seemed like a win-win since it saved the local government from having to clean it up. Anyway, glad you enjoyed it. Maybe I should take my nieces there or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Cool museum. Loved the cars...and that beaver gnawing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was one of my favorite parts as well. Poor beaver.

      Delete
  4. Looks like a really interesting place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely looks like a fun time.

    ReplyDelete