Saturday, July 9, 2022

Postcards from the Epic Adventure!

 While standard trading cards were in short supply on our Epic Adventure in May, post cards were not. Oh no, postcards were plentiful! And I took advantage of that fact, adding 89 new postcards to my collection! 

Some of the postcards were even free. Can't beat that price! And I'm planning to show them all in this post!

 
The first big postcard addition was at the Iowa 80, the World's Largest Truckstop and their truck museum, which offers cards of about 1/4th of their trucks, and the backs even have info about each truck on the back. 
















I don't know how I managed it but the cards posted in reverse order, with the oldest truck on the bottom.



I debated getting this one because I hate those stinking dolls but I wanted to get each of the cards they offered.





The next big post card addition was actually two places, but I don't remember which cards came from which place, so I'm posting them all here. They are from the Ranch Store, where we fed the Prairie Dogs, and the Mount Rushmore Gift Shop. 



They had some 3D cards, which I really liked. I ordered some more from the company after we got home, might get a post up about them at some point. 
I got this one at Mount Rushmore, not knowing we would actually go there the next day.

Keystone is the little town we stayed in, and it's awesome!





This one cracked me up.


This one came from Wall Drug




Didn't actually see any Buffalo in South Dakota, but got the card anyway.



This one is a bunch of stickers and is very flimsy. It took some damage on the ride home, I can't imagine it would fare well actually getting mailed.


One of the biggest sources of post cards was the Crazy Horse Monument. They had a ton of different designs, and I got them all.





These two are very similar. I accidentally got two, and when I got home I thought they were duplicates. But if you look at the font, they are actually different, and the back is totally different. 
That's Korczak Zylkowski who started the carving.














Considering they started in 1948 and the face is as far as they've gotten, I doubt I will live long enough to see this finished. 

The rest of the cards came from places we went to:

Another lenticular, these are so cool.

A postcard about the history of the stamp, it's apparently part of the series. I wouldn't mind finding the rest of them, as I'm also a stamp collector, although I don't work on the hobby very often...my fan tends to blow them away so I can only work on them in the AC season. 











But after I got done with scanning all the cards, I remembered buying some that weren't here. Where did they go? As it turns out, I had put them in the storage pocket on the back of the seat in the car, and not only that, when I found them, I found a couple of cards that I got on our trip to Ohio back in 2019 that I had completely forgotten about!





These are the three from the 2019 trip that have been in the car for parts of 4 years now!




Whoops! The funny thing is, I remembered getting them, and I just didn't know where they were. Especially the lighthouse one, I wondered where I had put it.

If you would like to read the backs of any of these cards, you can see them and the others I've scanned here: Post Cards on the Cardboard History Gallery

Thanks for reading!


12 comments:

  1. Do you collect vintage postcards or just when you go someplace?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a few vintage that I've picked up but not too many. There's actually one I'm really looking for, of the ship Chrystina.

      Delete
  2. Love that first Black Hills postcard. That's right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually picked up something to send you as a thank you for the last mailing you did for me, but I need to locate it before I can mail it.

      Delete
  3. Anything lenticular is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  4. While traveling this summer, I thought about buying a few postcards and starting a collection. They're really cool, but I just don't have room to start collecting something new. Although if I came across something like that lenticular Devil's Tower postcard, I would have grabbed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I consider them an extension of my card collection. I hesitated to do that but now I consider them a part, as well as the NASCAR hero cards.

      Delete
  5. I would get all sorts of postcards on vacation when I was younger. I think I even have some of those "xxx...At Night" cards. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was awesome. I have family in Wyoming and have been up that way many times and love it. Such a beatiful unique area. Great post. Thanks for sharing all the postcards.

    ReplyDelete