Thursday, August 25, 2022

Lacking motivation...so a look at some random die cut cards I just happened to scan

 I have not written about cards much lately...don't get me wrong I still love the hobby, but I've just lost motivation to write about them. Looking at my posts, I see that I haven't written a new card based post other than the Bill Russell memorial in...7 weeks. Yikes. And that post didn't really require much thinking because it wasn't a planned post, just a thrown together tribute. 

I haven't done much scanning either, and I was backlogged on my card listing back to April, although thankfully that is now caught up...and hopefully I will keep up on that going forward. Previously, as mentioned, I would not be able to work on my card listing for months at a time while I was working on models, but now models have their own permanent space so I can do cards again. 

I did so much modeling that my hands now hurt...I had to take some time off from building to let them recover, so I figured I would do some scanning, since that doesn't really impact my hands too much...a little bit, but much less than building does. 

Anyway, I decided to work on some die cut cards off the bat and am basically just writing about them to get a post up. 

I'm not a huge fan of the playing card insert concept but Kaprizov is a really fun player to watch. This past season was only his second in the NHL and he's already becoming a superstar.

I picked these two cards up at a card show earlier this year, the white part of the glove is rubbery, simulated leather. They are really neat cards in hand.

With getting this one scanned I finally finished scanning everything I got at the card shows I went to in May and June...I think. Finest style cards have to be scanned by themselves and this one being diecut just made it more of a challenge...add to the fact that I really dislike scanning Finest/Chrome cards and I just put it off for months. No more.

I got these two in trade in the last month. These cards are from 1997 Collector's Choice, which uses images from the 1996 season...except for the background image on these cards, which even though has been blurred is still very obviously from 1994. Each driver in this insert had three cards which you could put together to tell a story...I don't have all three of any of the drivers yet.
One of my best friends sent me a box of random cards which I will hopefully get a couple of posts out of and included was this orange parallel from 2013-14 Prizm. Like I said, I'm not a huge Chrome/Finest fan, which Prizm also uses the same technology, but the parallels...I love the parallels. This one is SN to 50 copies.
I'm getting closer to completing the 2001 Premium set...someday I'll get there. I completed one of this era of Premium not too long ago but I don't remember if it was 2002 or 2003.  May have been 2004. I need to update my vastly outdated Completed Sets page. 
These Sub Zero inserts are actually clear holographic but it really doesn't show in scans unfortunately.

I'm getting fairly close on this insert from 2009 Element as well. They are all holographic and diecut along the left side. I'm more than halfway now, and I added this one and another earlier this year in trade. Getting there, slowly but surely.

I found a box of cards that I had totally forgotten having, but unfortunately it was 99% college stuff. 
These cards are actually all holofoil.
Even though this is a high school team Kobe is shown with here, it was released as part of a college set.


This one isn't die cut but it is clear plastic, which is kind of cool. 

So there you go, a freshly written card post. 


10 comments:

  1. I've been slacking on the overall blog reading the last couple months so I know what it's like. As long as you're active with your hobbies that's more than good enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been somewhat lax in reading also...I need to get my focus back

      Delete
  2. I'm not much of a fan of the look of Pacific and Prizm but fancy is fancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pacific is growing on me the more I get from them...I had very few cards from them before I took up hockey.

      Delete
  3. The Pacific Glove cards are neat. I knew of their baseball counterparts, but don't recall ever having seen the hockey ones before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a similar design from a different year of the same set that's even more die cut...I got some at the same time but never wrote about them I don't think.

      Delete
  4. The last thing I need is another set build... but those 1999-00 Pacific Aurora Glove inserts are awesome. Took a peek at the checklist on COMC and it's loaded with familiar names from when I followed the sport much more closely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be pretty easy to put it together...I paid $1 for each of the 5 I have, all from the same dealer at the local card show

      Delete
  5. Look at that young Jeff Burton. Really enjoy him in the booth. The glove cards are cool. The Belfour card wins it for me though. Good pos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is still crazy to me that all the 1994 rookie of the year candidates are no longer racing other than an occasional appearance by Joe Nemechek

      Delete