Friday, September 9, 2022

I wondered about team leaders

 I have long wondered who had the most cards from each team, who was the team leader. Since the injury I've been dealing with to my hands is proving worse than I originally thought...and is probably not actually a hand injury but a nerve injury to my entire arm, related to something I did to myself while I was sleeping one night, I had a lot of time on my hands where I couldn't do anything better like build models. So I figured it out, at least for the NHL, the only aspect of my collection I have fully typed. 






I finally finished earlier today, way early, as I'm on the schedule where I'm awake all night. None of the teams were TOO surprising, with almost every team being active players in the top spots. I knew that the players that I was pulling from packs myself were going to be high. The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim was one of the two that actually surprised me, with Guy Hebert leading the way, and the All-Stars with Paul Coffey having the most cards with 10. 

Fun facts: The Sedin twins both have an identical number of Canucks cards at 32, in a 4-way tie for most of any team. 

Joe Sakic is the only person to crack the top 3 on more than one team, leading the Nordiques and 2nd on the Avalanche. Not counting the All-Star team anyway, since that would add Wayne Gretzky, Patrick Roy, Connor McDavid and Ray Bourque, while adding a third team for Sakic. It was fun seeing the different totals for each team name on the teams the changed. For example Shane Doan has mostly cards with the Phoenix Coyotes but also 2 with the Jets. Likewise, Oliver Ekman-Larsson leads the Arizona Coyotes but I only have 2 of him with the Phoenix Coyotes. 

I was watching the Simpsons when I was working on the North Stars and I happened to be typing Bellows the very same instant they said Krusty's "Rory B. Bellows" alias for the first time that episode. 

Being a Rangers fanatic means I have more cards of them than anyone else, and as it turns out more people too. There are currently 353 people in my collection with cards as a New York Ranger, easily the most from any team. The Bruins are a distant second with 275 different people. 

It took me a full week to type this up, and I didn't particularly enjoy it, but now that it's created I will just have to keep it updated, which I plan to do every month when I update how many cards I have from each team. I will, of course, resort each team to alphabetical order, luckily a two-click process on Excel to make it easier. 

I don't plan to screencap it all that often but I wanted to do it at it's creation. Maybe I will screencap it once a year to track how my collection grows over time, if I remember. Not a guarantee.

I'm guessing there are also some mistakes that I will hopefully weed out over time. For instance as I was typing them I found two cards for Andrei Vasilevskiy labeled as Toronto Maple Leafs, which I had to correct. Because he's a current player I'm familiar with, and I know he should only have cards under Tampa and possibly All-Star, that was an obvious mistake and I caught it. However, my knowledge of older players or players who have been on multiple teams isn't as good so some mistakes invariable slipped by. 

At some point I will get this info for the NBA as well but I don't know when that will be. I'm a long way off on that, this year is not likely. I might do it for NASCAR too, someday, but I am unsure if I will or perhaps just cherry pick the major teams. 

Now that I've finished but I'm still in too much pain to work on models or do much of anything else I don't really know what I'm going to do, but I'll try to see if I can get some more posts written. No guarantees though. 

Thanks for reading.

7 comments:

  1. You have 66 Mario Lemieux Penguins cards and 10 Ron Francis Whalers cards, matching their uniform numbers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I didn't even notice that, even though I am well aware of at least Mario's number. Good catch!

      Delete
  2. I think you have more Brent Burns Sharks cards than I do. I'm not surprised... I haven't opened up hockey packs in years and haven't been actively tracking down his or other Sharks cards the past couple of years. But I still root for them.

    On the other hand, I just bought a 90's Gretzky card I've always wanted. Pretty stoked. I'll write a post at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Sorry to hear about your hands/nerves. Hope they start feeling better soon.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, it's been painful but it is slowly healing. Brent Burns instantly became a favorite player of mine, so I have purchased some cards of him on COMC. It will be weird with him not there this coming year.

      Delete
  3. - Sergei Fedorov is listed as "Federov" under ANA and DET.
    - Steve Bernier under CLE is an AHL card, not NHL.
    - SJ has "Evanson< Dean" instead of Evanson, Dean.
    - Drake Berehowsky is "Berehowsku" under TOR.
    - Andrei Chibisov is "Chibisiv" under WPG2.

    ReplyDelete