Wednesday, December 28, 2022

planning ahead for a sick day that finally came

 It's no secret that my health is not that great, that I've got a compromised immune system. It's more a question of "when" rather than "if" I will get sick, but I had been on a pretty good streak of not getting sick, the last time was in either 2018 or 2019. Note that I'm speaking of that in the past tense. Yes, I woke up yesterday with a sore throat and now I'm definitely sick...although hopefully it won't last too long. My brother woke up sick on Christmas morning and I guess I didn't stay far enough away from him. I'm not in as bad a shape as he was in so hopefully it stays that way and this doesn't stick around too long.

But I planned for this...I knew this would happen eventually. And, I also knew that sickness equals complete and utter boredom, since I won't touch any of my cards or model stuff while I am sick. I used to not really worry about that...when my friend sent me over 2000 hockey cards back in 2015 I was very sick that day/week I was going through them, and now every time I handle one of them, I can't help but wonder if I am going to give myself germs as a "gift" from, holy crap, how is that 7 years ago already? So I decided a couple years ago I would not touch any hobby stuff, just my mouse and keyboard which can be cleaned. 

I really hate doing the foil and Finest style card scans. I know they need to be done, if I want to have my entire collection scanned uniformly, but they aren't fun in the least and they take a long time. When my brother got me my "new" scanner a couple years ago, I scanned all the foil and Finest cards I could lay my hands on at that time, which was a lot- probably close to 1000. I've worked on them on and off since then, mostly when I was really down and needed to focus on something to get my mind off my mind, if that makes sense. 

I still have 268 pages to do, although that does include the backs as well, which in most cases are normal card stock. 


Here's just a sample of what I have ahead of me. 

Now, I know realistically I will not complete these all this time I'm sick...I'll work on them for a while, but honestly, I'll probably get frustrated and go do something else...even if that something else is just playing Angry Birds , I really enjoy doing this so little that I tend to wander. Heck, writing this post is partially just to put off starting to work on them! 

So it occurred to me to figure out how many cards I have ahead of me to do. Oh joy.


I really want to write about what I got for Christmas, but I don't think I will get them all scanned in time for the end of this year...I did exceptionally well and pulled a 1/1! I will show it as soon as I can. 

My annual Year in Review will also be delayed until sometime in January, whenever I can get what I need scanned for the post. None of that will happen until I am better...I should still get my annual "In Memoriam" post up on the 31st. That's the least fun post to write but I feel I need to do it. I will wait and write it on the 31st and that will cap off the year for me. I'd like to think I won't need to add anybody to it over the next three days but I know to wait, since twice in that series history it's been published before people died that should have been on it. 

OK, I can't put off the editing any more, time to go start working on it.  

8 comments:

  1. I made it through exactly one side of one page of 1995-96 SP NBA before I stopped to look out the window. This is both going to be brutal and it's already going better than I expected, haha. That set is foil on both sides, by the way...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finished the backs of that page. I hate this set so much.

      Delete
  2. Good luck, Billy! Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hate scanning foil and chrome, and taking pix of them is no better. ... Good luck and I hope the illness too tough on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you feel better soon. Can't wait to see that 1/1 you pulled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you're feeling better Billy. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the well wishes, I've been sleeping most of the day every day. I wasn't able to get the I'm memorium post up yet but I will

    ReplyDelete