Sunday, February 26, 2023

Black History Month Spotlight: K'Andre Miller

 Now that I've given up on the 10 card per post concept, it should be no surprise who my next spotlight falls on: Rangers Defenseman K'Andre Miller. 

One of the things that really surprised me about hockey when I got into it was that the draft picks wouldn't join the team right away. Being so used to the NBA format, where the draft pick either makes the team that season or not at all, there was quite a bit of getting used to how the NHL does it- where teams draft a player and he doesn't join the team for years. K'Andre Miller was the first Ranger player who this was a thing with for me. Yes, there were other players who had been drafted first that came to the team while I was watching, but K'Andre was the first where I saw him drafted AND understood what was going on and how the system worked.

He has since joined the team and has solidified himself as the 2nd best defenseman on the squad. Like Ryan Reeves, I have prioritized getting his cards scanned so this is my complete collection of him...so far!

2020-21 Upper Deck Dazzlers Green #DZ-129
The Dazzlers inserts from the Upper Deck Flagship of the last three years are incredible cards in hand. They don't scan as well, but even the scan looks good. Green being my favorite color leads to these being my favorite of the 4 colors available. I was lucky enough to pull this one from a pack myself.
2020-21 Upper Deck Star Rookies Box Set #15
The Star Rookie box set started in 2015-16, then disappeared for a few years, returning in 2020-21. I really like the set, as it usually gives me my first cards of a lot of the players, K'Andre was one of them, I wrote a post about this card specifically when I first got it. I wish it was more than 25 cards each year. 
2021-22 Upper Deck #124
My only base card of K'Andre, I actually pulled this one from a pack when I was in South Dakota! 
2022-23 Topps Now #154
This card is actually a sticker and comes from the Topps Now set, which I really love. This card commemorates my favorite moment of the Rangers season so far. Trailing with the game ending, K'Andre got a goal in the literal last second of the game, forcing OT, where with Rangers won on a shot by Alexis Lafreniere or Adam Fox. I don't remember who scored the game winner, but K'Andre's tying goal was very awe-inspiring. 

And, unfortunately, that's it...the entirety of my collection to date is only 4 cards. Hopefully that will change. 


8 comments:

  1. He's a fun player to watch...always very focused, and so serious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately today wasn't the best day to spotlight K'Andre Miller. He spit on an opposing player in today's game and got ejected with a possible suspension to come. I like him, but I hate to see a player on my team do something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that was unfortunate. this post was written and published before the game started though.

      Delete
  3. Don't have any K'Andre Miller cards... but I might have one or two Andre Miller cards laying around. Shoot me with an email and your address and I'll send them your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. UD doesn't give hockey collectors much choice with players who aren't the very best in the league. I just checked COMC for Timo Meier cards now the the trade to NJ is official and was surprised at the limited selection. There isn't much beyond the flagship base set or OPC for a player like Miller to appear in, even though he's a young star on a popular team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure do miss the days when there were multiple companies with licenses.

      Delete