Friday, February 10, 2023

Black History Month Spotlight: Updates on P.K. Subban, Jarome Iginla and Anthony Duclair

 Here's this year's installment in the now annual series updating the collection status of the players previously featured in my Black Hisotry Month Spotlights, highlighting Black players in hockey. In 2021 I wrote posts for P.K. Subban and Jarome Iginla and in 2022 I wrote one for Anthony Duclair. Now I will look and see how many cards I added to my collection of them since last year, and if they are cards I scanned, I will show them. That's not a guarantee- I can add cards much quicker than I can scan them, and dealing with arm injuries to both arms, one after the other, hasn't helped my scanning speed. 

At least year's update I had 38 cards of P.K. Subban and now I am up to 45 cards of him! 

Among the new cards I added of him are these:

2021-22 Topps Now #522

2021-22 Upper Deck #360
The only two of the new additions I got scanned. P.K. retired after the 2021-22 season so his new cards going forward will probably not be as many as previously. He now works for ESPN. 


Last year's update saw Jarome Iginla with 40 cards, and he now has 42, I only got two cards of him in the past year. I'm actually sort of surprised it was that many since I brought in even less older cards this past year than the previous year, but I'm glad I got some at least. 

1997-98 Upper Deck #24
Not pictured is the 2008-09 Ultra Gold Medallion card.  This is such a cool photo on this card too! 

I had 16 cards of Anthony Duclair in his post last year, and now I am at now at 18. 
2022-23 MVP #187


They are his base card and the Blue parallel from the factory set from the 2022-23 MVP set, and luckily both of them were scanned! I'm backlogged on writing posts and still haven't written my Christmas update yet so this is the first time the MVP factory set is appearing on Cardboard History. 

Stay tuned to find out who the next spotlight will be on for this year! Hopefully I can get more than one written, in fact.

5 comments:

  1. That Iginla card is really cool, but I think the most memorable card is his SP rookie card. Do you have any Mike Grier cards? I rooted for him when he was with the Sharks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have 7 cards of him but only one has been scanned so far. Of the 7 I have none are from his time in San Jose. https://public.fotki.com/CardboardHistory/hockey/hockey-by-person/g/grier-mike/

      Delete
  2. I think you have more P.K. cards than I do. He was fun to watch as a player and its a bummer that his skills declined so quickly. I'm sure he's great on TV but I never see NHL games anymore. ESPN hides so many of them on streaming :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh... I know I commented on this post but I think Blogger ate it :/ I said something about you having more Subban singles than me. The Topps Sticker is a nice one. I'm bummed he declined so quickly because the league really needed a player and personality like him. Good to see him on TV though.

    I'm not a Kings fan at all, but Quinton Byfield might make your list next year. Do you have any of his cards yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hate when it does that. I've only had it happen once so far, hopefully stays that way, fingers crossed. I do have a few of him yes, mostly also from the Topps Now set.

      Delete