Friday, February 18, 2022

Black History Month: Updates on P.K. Subban and Jarome Iginla collections

 Last year I posted two Black History Month Spotlights, one on P.K. Subban and one on Jarome Iginla. I mentioned doing updates on their collection and I didn't quite plan on how the rest of the year would go, not expecting to both reinjure my arm AND bring in less cards in 2021 than I have in all of the time I've written Cardboard History. So, I don't have a single new scan to show for either player. 

What I DID do was figure out exactly what I have in my collection for the entire sport of hockey, since I could type when I couldn't scan...so, for the first time, I know exactly what I have for each person. 

So, I know now that I have 38 P.K. Subban cards, of which 32 have been scanned. My oldest of him is the 2011-12 Score card that appears in his original Black History Month Spotlight last year. 

Of the 38 cards, 23 are base, 6 are parallels, 2 are inserts, 3 are parallels of inserts, 2 are promos, and 2 are promo inserts. 2 of the above cards are Serially Numbered. I do not have any "hits" for him yet. 

This is an insert parallel, from the Flair Showcase insert from Fleer Showcase. This card looks MUCH nicer in hand.
Here's a base card from 2015-16 Upper Deck Portfolio.
This card is a parallel of an insert, the standard insert features silver foil, not red.
Here's a parallel, an O-Pee-Chee Retro card from 2016-17.
And here's a promo, from 2020-21 Tim Horton's. 
This card is a promo insert, from the 2018-19 O-Pee-Chee Coast to Coast set, which was only available at Canadian Tire stores in Canada.


Moving to Jarome Iginla, I now know that I have 40 cards of him, but only 22 have been scanned. A couple of them are in the "Damaged - to replace" box which I don't plan to scan until I can replace them. Of the 40, the oldest is a 3-way tie from the 1997-98 season, none of which have been scanned, one of which I got at Christmas. The newest is from 2016-17. 26 are base cards, 3 are parallels, 1 is a second-level parallel, 6 are inserts and 4 are promos. 4 of the above cards are serially numbered. Like P.K. I do not have a "hit" for him, either. 

Here's a base card, from 2002-03 Heads Up
an insert from 2002-03 Topps
a promo, from 2015-16 Tim Horton's
and a parallel, from 2016-16 Trilogy. 

The second-level parallel is shown in his original post, the Red Prism from 2016-17 O-Pee-Chee Platinum. 

Thank you for reading and stay tuned for a new Spotlight in the coming days. 


6 comments:

  1. Very nice cards. I always enjoy seeing P.K. pop up on a card blog. I think I have a couple extra Subban singles I can send you. I'll have to check.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like these two players! Nice cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, that's why I made them the first two spotlights

      Delete
  3. I loved collecting Iginla's cards back in the day. I remember getting excited every time I pulled one of his 1994-95 SP rookie cards from a pack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool! I have so little from the 1994-95 SP hockey set yet, and definitely not that card.

      Delete