Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Spotlight On: P.K. Subban

 It's already the 9th and I have not published anything this month. I need to fix that...so why not jump in on the celebration of Black people that is Black History Month and write up a quick post celebrating P.K. Subban? When I first began watching the sport, his Predators went all the way to the finals and he quickly became a favorite player of mine- easily in my Top 5 favorite players. 

Now he's playing locally and is my favorite player on the Devils. Hopefully the team can get healthy and we can see him back on the ice before too long. 

Here's a "clipshow" of  10 cards of him in my collection...not posting them all to leave myself room to expand with another installment next year. 

How often do you see a card of someone wearing a uniform for a team he's never played for? I can't think of ANY other cards! 
This was my first card of him
One of two Parallels of him in my collection
My only card from this set
Now we see him with Nashville, which is where he was when I started watching.
A fantastic card of him saluting his fans when he returned to Montreal for the first time after the trade.
The only other parallel of him I have scanned. The factory set blue was so cool that first year.
All Star!
I pulled this Wood parallel at Christmas 2019, it's not actually made of wood but just patterned to look like it.

I bought this card on COMC because it was a good photo and I wanted to get him in the Devils uniform into my collection as quickly as I could...back when COMC could be considered quick! I have 3 cards of him with the Devils now...one still awaits a scan. I think I've shown this one before, but that's OK. It's holographic which doesn't exactly scan like it looks in hand, only his image is "normal". 

I'm also a fan of Malcolm and Jordan but I don't have enough cards of them combined to make a 10 card spotlight...hopefully someday. 

7 comments:

  1. Personally, glad he moved on from Montreal so I can like him more! Seriously though, it's how he was in stuff off the ice and interviews that makes him stand out to me. He is great on the ice, but seems like a great guy off of it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's off the ice why I like him as well. Seems like he's a genuinely good person.

      Delete
  2. I'm a big Subban fan and hopefully he turns it around for the Devils this year. I have a couple of these cards, the Contenders and O-Pee-Chee. That Wood parallel is awesome!

    Will you be writing about any other Black hockey players? I just watched a Willie O'Ree documentary yesterday which was interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have plans to do more. Jarome Iginla is another favorite of mine and he is likely next. I don't know if I have enough cards scanned to do a ten card spotlight for anyone else. Wayne Simmonds and Grant Fuhr maybe. Evander Kane should be there and maybe Kyle Okposo.

      Delete
  3. Wood or not... that wood parallel is cool. But if UD is reading this... it would be a tad bit cooler if it was printed on actual wood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they read here. That would be cool. I've been buying their products for 30 years this year.

      Delete
  4. Good looking cards. That first one is my favorite especially since he never played for them. Seems like that' happened in other sports but I can't come up with a name.

    ReplyDelete