Friday, February 19, 2021

Black History Month Spotlight: Jarome Iginla

 When I "discovered" the NHL, I read as much as I could. I read the entire history of each team...and I read about random players who I just happened to click on, uh, randomly. I'm lucky I clicked on to Jarome Iginla. I had seen him playing a time or two- I think I only saw him play two games, because he retired at the conclusion of my first, partial season -don't remember the juxtaposition of when I read the article to when I saw him play. I consider myself fortunate that I actually got to see him play. 

One thing stood out to me is that he has spent a considerable effort on diabetes research. As you may recall, I have that and it almost killed me in 2013, when I didn't know I had it. The most amazing thing? He doesn't have it, or doesn't have anyone close who has it. If the article I read is correct (never a guarantee, but I hope so) he simply read about it and wanted to try and help. That is somebody who deserves my fandom. 

He was also a really, really good hockey player, the best player in Calgary history if you ask me. 

Here's ten cards from my collection of him:

1998-99 Black Diamond is my oldest card of him. 
The 2000-01 Topps set looks better in scans than it does in hand, I think.
I bought this Refractor on COMC
This was an insert in MVP
One of two promo cards I have of him in my collection
You know me with SN cards. I've already added 3 of him to my collection
This was probably my first card of him
I pulled this card from the very first hobby box of NHL cards I ever did
Another SN card I bought on COMC. 
The eggplant set, the borders always remind me of the color of eggplants. Unlike the vegetable, I have not tasted any of these cards.

Now that he's retired he doesn't get many new cards anymore, unfortunately. You can see my entire collection of him here: Jarome Iginla although like pretty much everyone in my collection, not all the cards I have collected are scanned yet. 

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good dude. Most people don't donate large sums of money to/involve themselves in things like this unless it has affected them or someone they know, so he's certainly a rarity in that regard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why that impressed me so much ..it's so incredibly rare to see.

      Delete
  2. Great guy and amazing player. You have quite a collection going judging from these ten alone! Really love the Topps Chrome Refractor and the Red OPC Platinum parallel, great shiny cards Billy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think I'm doing well. I have enough of him I can do another post next year. And who knows where I'll be collecting wise next year? Might have even more, better cards.

      Delete
  3. Nice variety of Iggy here. Definitely an all-time great and somehow not named to the NHL 100 which was a major oversight. I had a Trilogy auto way back that was a redemption replacement and it was from a nickname set so he just signed it "Iggy." Wish I'd held onto that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, him not being on the Top 100 is a surprise to me.

      Delete
  4. I sure hope that story about him reading up on diabetes is true. If so... that's pretty darn cool. The only card of his that stands out in my mind is his 1994-95 SP rookie card. That card was kinda popular back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not gotten that one yet. I have very few cards from that set.

      Delete
  5. Great story and great dude. For some reason, hockey cards seem to be at the top when it comes to designs. Those are all great looking cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I think they get the best designs currently.

      Delete
  6. Great player and cards. The Blasty jerseys are my all-time favorite. Iginla is a all-time favorite of mine as well. Good post and glad he support diabetes research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is certainly an interesting look, and they've brought it back this year!

      Delete