Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Sad news: We've lost one of our fellow bloggers

 Last night I confirmed something I was afraid of, fellow blogger and friend Dawn of Now and Zen has passed away. 

In her last post she detailed her ALS diagnosis and it was not good...the last time I spoke with her she said that she didn't think she had much time left, and unfortunately that turned out to be true. 

I first met her back in 2016 on the Trading Card Database and we became friends on there, and eventually on Facebook. I know she was never on there a whole lot but it had been too long since I had interacted with her, and I did some investigating. It turns out she had passed away in September 2020. I didn't check sooner because it was not uncommon for her to go a few months without logging in, but it seemed like too long and I began to fear the worst. 

Besides cards (She was a big time Cubs fan) she also collected stamps and postcards. Some of my favorite stamps in my collection were a gift from her, in fact. 

I will miss her, she had a great sense of humor and a kind personality. 

My condolences to her wife and loved ones. 

On a personal note, she is the first blogging friend lost. While I was aware of Bob Lemke, I didn't actually know him, Dawn, I knew. So while I'm glad she's no longer suffering I'm very sad as well. 

9 comments:

  1. I was recently going through my list of people that have participated in my Time Travel Trading project, and her name came up. I remembered her last post on the Now and Zen blog and was actually wondering how she was doing. Sad news indeed, and my condolences to her family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear this. I wasn't really aware of her blog, although I see that I was following it. I recognize her blog name as someone who has commented on my blog.

    I lost a good blogging buddy back in 2012. Chris had two card blogs in Vintage Sportscards and 1973 Topps Photography and was well-respected in the vintage card forums. I wrote about it: http://nightowlcards.blogspot.com/2012/09/a-card-blogger-leaves-this-earth.html

    I suppose it's fortunate that he's the only other blogger I know to pass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I ever read her blog much, but she sounds like a lovely person. So sorry to hear this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never happened to come across her blog, but it's a loss nonetheless. Condolences to you and her friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that is terrible news, I'm so sorry for her and her family. I have a friend whose wife was recently diagnosed with ALS, its a truly horrible disease.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I just wanted to add that I just read her blog for the first time, her last post is by far the bravest and most admirable blog post I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very sad news. Thoughts go out to her family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry for the loss of your friend. Sounds like she was a courageous woman.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recognize the user name and blog title, but never had any interactions with either. We've been pretty lucky not to have lost too many bloggers so far, but I often wonder about the folks who just up and disappear, and seemingly aren't on any other site for anyone to know that they're still okay.

    ReplyDelete