Thursday, April 20, 2023

Alternates & Throwbacks in my hobby box of 2022-23 Upper Deck Series 1

 I'm debuting a new series today that will be fairly rare due to the fact that I rarely buy hobby boxes anymore. I did, however, get a hobby box of 2022-23 Upper Deck Series 1 as an Easter present and I just got done scanning and labeling all the cards today, a full 11 days to get them all done. 

I really enjoy seeing the alternate and throwback uniforms worn in my sports, so I thought I would spotlight them. 

#10
The Coyotes brought their original Phoenix design back as a throwback last year and this year.
#36
The Hurricanes have a lot of designs and I am not actually sure which one is the standard road white, it's possible they are ALL alternates in the set. This black, red and gray design with the warning flags is definitely an alternate though. 
#100
The only card showing a special warm up jersey, this is for the Hockey Fights Cancer program. I LOVE these and I wish they wore them for the entire game. (I lost my dad to cancer)
#108

#110
The Jersey alternates debuted last season. Bonus, this is my first card of Nico Daws.
#115
I'm genuinely surprised that Lou Lamoriello allows the Islanders to wear an alternate, but here it is. 
#134

#136

#137
The Flyers had the most alternate appearance in the box, with 4 cards. (One more coming below). There was only one card of their standard home orange in the box!
#145

#147
Two for the Sharks' black alternate. I like the teal so much better. 
#168
So many teams wear black or dark blue as an alternate now, and the Leafs combined them with a black and dark blue uniform. This is only my second card showing this alternate.
#191
Some pretty big star power in the Cap's alternate here, with the best player in franchise history, 
#194

#196
The current Jets wear the original Jets' design as a throwback, even though they are two totally different teams. This is my first card of Morgan Barron, I believe. (Hard to remember the short time Rangers, haha)
#237
The Throwback alternate appears in the Young Guns section too! 
#DD-5
Moving into the inserts, we see the Ducks' alternate which is actually a burnt orange color.
#DM-30
The Flyers' alternate appears here again, although I'm only going to count it one more time, haha.
#P-9
More star power appears in the UD Portraits insert, with the Oilers' dark blue with neon trim alternate. 

Although I hadn't done a hobby box of Upper Deck S1 since 2019-20, it feels like there are less alternates and throwbacks appearing in here than I expected based on what I've gotten of previous seasons via blasters. I will be curious to see if the second and third series have more in them...interestingly not a single one of the cards shows one of the Reverse Retro designs I don't think (Anaheim and Pittsburgh may have been their reverse retro)

I did pick up a hobby box of 2022-23 O-Pee-Chee while I was at National Hockey Card Day so hopefully I can get another one of these posts up in the series before too long. 

Thanks for reading!


7 comments:

  1. I like that Connor McDavid card. Isn't Morgan Barron the guy that just got 75 stitches in his face?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coming from a Caps fan, that jersey is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most of my Sharks jerseys are of the black variety. I do have a couple of teal from the 90's... and one white.

    ReplyDelete