Thursday, April 13, 2023

Pretty big Rangers collecting milestone!

 It should not be a surprise that I know how many cards I have of "my" New York Rangers. I ended March with 1,991 cards of my favorite hockey team. I'm guessing you've already guessed what that major milestone is now- yes, I hit 2000 cards of the New York Rangers! 

I hadn't actually gotten any new cards at all in April until Easter, when I received a hobby box of 2022-23 Upper Deck Series 1 and a handful of parallels from MVP- my intention is to write about them in their own post- and that pushed me over the mark. 


Barclay Goodrow got the honor of being #2000. As a bonus, this is also my first card of him with the Rangers and second overall! At least I think it is. I've only scanned one card of him, anyway, until now.

I didn't get all the Rangers in the set, but I did manage to pull a rarer one- the French parallel of Igor Shesterkin, which is the first French parallel I've pulled. (I didn't get a hobby box of the previous releases since it's returned to the set). The French parallels are one per hobby box. 


Unfortunately I didn't get the base card of Igor. I'm glad they labeled it as being the parallel on the front because odds are I wouldn't have noticed otherwise- at least right away. I usually read the card backs as I'm scanning them so I would have noticed by now, but I wouldn't have noticed the day I got it.

Before I got this hobby box, I had exactly 1 card from the set, thanks to Chris the Collector, making this the latest I've gone into the season without opening a single pack of Upper Deck s1...the NHL season ends on Friday, unfortunately. 

To put into perspective how much of a lead the Rangers have on my collection, there are only two other teams that have even cracked the 1000 card barrier, the Bruins and Canadiens. Although the Red Wings are less than 10 away and will likely hit that mark sometime on the epic adventure my brother and I are getting ready to take. I'm bringing some cards with me to open in the new states I visit, something I really like to do, but don't always remember to do. For example I missed Nebraska last year. The box I have saved to bring with me, I actually got at a Wal-Mart in Rapid City, South Dakota last year! It's crazy that I live in an area with three local teams and my stores here don't stock the Parkhurst brand, but go to South Dakota- nowhere near any teams- and they had several blasters available, of which I bought one. Go figure. 

13 comments:

  1. Woo Hoo!!! RANGERS!!! 2000 cards is incredible. What a milestone. Who knows what the rest of the year will bring you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's makes for a nice collection. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the milestone. Is that 2,000 different Rangers cards? If so... that's insane. I've been collecting Sharks cards for more than 3 decades and doubt I've crossed the 1,000 mark. But probably have 2,000 (maybe more) if we're counting duplicates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! I didn't know French cards were such a novelty that they'd become stamped parallels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something they've been doing since the 2020-21 set, 1 per hobby box.

      Delete
  5. Nicely done, Billy! You picked a pretty good team to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 2,000 Rangers cards in 5+ years is a heck of an accomplishment. And that's the last nice thign I'm going to say about NYR for a while. GO DEVILS!! :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that you helped me get there! In this case having somebody not like my team actually is a good thing, haha

      Delete
  7. Congratulations and what states you traveling too? If Colorado lmk when and where. I might be able to meet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be in Colorado but my time is going to be super limited. I'm going to visit three museums in two days, and drive to Utah directly from the third museum.

      Delete