Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Weird scanning quirk

I've made it pretty clear that scanning is one of my favorite parts of the hobby. The process of scanning, the labeling of the scans, the uploading them to my Cardboard History Gallery and seeing where they slot into a set, team or person's album...I love it all. If I am being honest, it's actually become more important to me than actually having the cards, in a way. Of course you can't document something if you don't have it, but I digress. 

One thing I hate scanning, however, is boxes. I scan all packs and boxes and I enjoy having the archive of them, but doing the actual work? Not fun for me at all. In fact I have a tendency of putting it off, and then having to check the said archive to see if I've already done them or not, which, while is literally only 3 clicks of the mouse, also drives me nuts. By then, when they have been waiting months or years, they get filled with dust which makes it harder to scan and then clean the scanner afterwards. For example, I just scanned the box of the Panini Beach Boys cards, which I opened in, if I remember correctly, 2017. Yeah. 

It's not like it's hard work. It generally requires less actual work than scanning a page of cards does, in fact. Each page of cards is 9 cards, which means I have to make 8 copies before I start cropping. With the boxes, most of the time it's only one on the scanner tray, 4 at the absolute max, so it's obviously less work. 

Because there are less of them to do, it takes less time do crop them down as well, meaning when I do finally scan a batch of them, it usually goes very quickly. I scanned the boxes I got on my Ohio trip (the National and the NASCAR store I found) and the whole process took me about an hour. 

I don't know why I am this way and I wish I wasn't. I'm just weird I guess. 

For an example of how easy it actually is, here's an original scan. 
And here it is edited...which took 4 clicks and literally about 20 seconds.

It literally took longer to write this post than it did to edit the entire 1997 Ultra box, of which this is the bottom of. 






Might as well show the other sides of the box and the pack while I'm here.

I was able to complete the set from this box, with a LOT of duplicates, although there was some bricking so some of them took some damage. Pretty sure it's the first set I've completed in 2024. At $50, this was my largest single item purchase at the National. 

7 comments:

  1. Eight copies? Doesn't your program let you select an area - copy it - and paste it as a separate image? Then fine tune it if necessary. That's how I do it. Though my program is from the early 1990's...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, but I found that to be slower and less fun.

      Delete
  2. I really miss scanning. I've gotten pretty good at taking pictures over the last few years but I should really try to get my scanner to start talking to my laptop again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's possible it may not depending on the age of your machines. My original scanner still works but it doesn't run on Windows 10 so I can't use it anymore.

      Delete
  3. Scanning is probably my least favorite computer related thing to do. And there isn't even a close #2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I normally love it. It's what I spend most of my time doing when I'm not working on models.

      Delete