Friday, June 23, 2017

2017 NBA Draft

I've spoken, in the past, about how much I enjoy the draft and seeing all the new names of players who will hopefully soon enter my collection. This draft was kind of unusual in that there was only a couple of players from the first round who was not from the USA or considered a USA player by attending college here. Last year saw a record number of international players, this year was the least I've seen in many years.

The top few picks were not a surprise...the one surprise I found was Malik Monk slipping to 11th, I had him pegged at 7th through 9th. The biggest surprise is the Jimmy Butler to Minnesota trade.

I don't have too much to say yet, but I will say the 2017-18 NBA season officially started today and that is a great thing...July 7th in Summer League and I will be watching most of that...if I am awake, it will be on, essentially.

Mostly I just want to get the screencap of the Excel chart I made posted up. I'll return to this post at the conclusion of the coming season and see how many of these players make it into my collection....although I probably won't post about it, just for my own personal enjoyment.
Tyler Lydon, who went 24th, is the first player from my home county to be drafted since 1971, so I'll definitely be looking to add cards of him to my collection. He was drafted by the Jazz and traded to the Nuggets tonight.

To keep this somewhat card related, I got a trade in from the Trading Card Database today that completed 1989-90 Hoops for me, I believe. I'll research it more and post a scan in my pending June trade recap. It's been a long road as 1989-90 Hoops was one of the first sets I added to my NBA collection when I discovered the sport in 1996.

Looking at the chart I see that I made at least one spelling mistake...at some point I will probably transcribe it to paper and store it in my card collecting issue.

Here's a random scan of an NBA card just because I have not posted any in a while. I did happen to scan this one while watching the draft.
1992-93 Upper Deck #107. This was before he switched to Clifford due to confusion with the older player who was also known as Cliff. I just noticed that there is red stains on the jersey...quite probably blood. Nowadays they would make him change it, but back then I think they were a little more lax in jersey regulations.

9 comments:

  1. Damyean Dotson went to the Knicks in Rd 2 and becomes the first Houston Cougar drafted since 2001. He's got a shot at making the roster if he can hit his threes and continue playing defense like he did here. Nice kid, too. The Knicks are now my official 'second' team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Knicks have a poor track record with rookies...well, veterans too, lol.

      Delete
  2. I was excited to see three Oregon Ducks drafted. (Dotson would've been the fourth, but there was some unpleasantness there.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's quite a few. I love the color scheme they wear. Green and yellow are my two favorite colors and neon only makes it better.

      Delete
  3. I love the Celts pick. Tatum should workout great. Second round guy was actually somebody I had heard of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some have said they might have gotten the steal of the draft with their second round pick. There's usually one or two who make it big from the second round and it may well be him, the Celtics certainly have enough talent for anyone to succeed.

      Delete
  4. Two Gonzaga players were drafted so I'm happy. Zach Collins will be an interesting prospect in the NBA. He needs to keep his fouls down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a lifelong Blazers fan, just hoping he's not Meyers Leonard 2.0

      Delete
    2. Did you hear that the Deputy Commissioner mispronounced Gonzaga?

      Delete