Friday, January 29, 2016

NBA 20th Anniversary Countdown #17: 1992-93 Ultra

The first set to appear in the countdown that was issued before I discovered the sport's existence. It won't be the last!

#17: 1992-93 Ultra

Why I like it: It's all about the design here.

Set size/Completion: 375 cards, I have 367 of them, 98% according to the Database.

1992-93 Ultra was the first NBA release for the brand, and I am not going to hide it- Ultra is my all-time favorite brand. It was issued from 1992-93 through 2004-05, and again in 2006-07 and 2007-08. There is only one design I don't really care for in that entire time, and there will be more Ultra in this countdown.

That green marble design...I love it. Green has always been my favorite color, and I've always been drawn to marble design. There's really no way I could not go for this set, and I did!

The fronts feature action photos that, while perhaps not as dynamic as later Ultra issues, are certainly good photos that are not duplicated on the card- you get three photos on each card!
The name bar and team bar are color coded to each team, as well- again, something I like. the entire back of the card is based on the colors of the team floor.
There's not much in the way of stats on the back, but that's fine- that was included on the flagship Fleer set, and you really only need one set per year to include stats.

Throughout the years, series 1 (cards #1-200) have always been harder to find. In fact, I was missing more than half of them but got most of them in trade in 2014 and 2015. I am only one card short of having the entire second series- I'm missing #271, Robert Horry. The rest of the cards I'm missing are all series 1.

There are 6 inserts in the set, most of which would be staples in Ultra for years to come.
All-NBA, All-Rookie, NBA Award Winners, Playmakers, Rejectors and a Scottie Pippen insert that I believe may have been a mailaway, There are also autographed versions of the Pippen cards- very early autographs, with the first being issued only in 1991-92. I've never seen one.

I only have two of the inserts scanned and ready to show.

I have to admit that All-Rookie design on the Walt Williams card is much more interesting than any of the other inserts issued in the set.

(as an aside- this is the first time Michael Jordan has gotten a label tag in Cardboard History's history. Considering I have more cards of him than any other person, that surprises me)

6 comments:

  1. I will always remember this set because of the then much coveted Harold Miner rookie card. Everyone was trying to hoard their "Baby Jordan" cards in hopes of cashing in big somewhere down the road. I really miss those days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just looking at that card earlier today- and the 1993-94 Ultra Famous Nicknames with Baby Jordan printed in big bold silver foil on the card front. From what I've read Minor hates that nickname.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I agree! The tan version they used the next year is nice as well but not as nice as the green

      Delete
  3. I bought a few of these years ago. Nice looking set

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always been a fan. At one point this set was in my top 10 favorites.

      Delete