Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Thanking Marc from Michigan!

I'm feeling pretty lousy about this, but I have no idea who I should be thanking. I got an envelope from Michigan and inside it was signed from Marc, but I don't know who that is. I Must have given them my address but I can't place who it is. It might be a reader here or it might be somebody from the Trading Card Database. I must have given them my address..or maybe not, it's publicly posted on NUTS, the NASCAR forum, which my computer doesn't let me log into, so I just have no idea.
I am sorry I can't put a name to a username but I am thrilled with the cards you sent me!

the Racing Champions cards were all dupes (I'm less than 100 away from having all of them ever made, I think) but the two 1971 Fleer AHRA Drag Champs...those were all new.

 This is a set that I have some cards from...but I've never actually added to the collection. I inherited them from my Dad, who was not a card collector, but was a racer- including drag racing. (I have the trophy he won with his 55 Chevrolet in 1968, broken before I was born but I have all the pieces)

So it's pretty momentous to add cards to a collection I have not added to since at least 1988!

Great old cards! What's more, I think this might be the first Standard Size racing set ever. I'm not sure on a couple of Indy sets, as they are not in my collection. (yet) but this is definitely the first in my collection chronologically.

I'm really thrilled with these cards, thanks again, Marc!

(as an aside, I'm labeling these as NHRA even though they are not. I want to keep all drag racing under one label)

6 comments:

  1. I recently traded with TCDB member mfeik, first name Marc (with a "c") from Michigan. That may be your man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip Jason, that's who it was! He asked me for my address only a week ago and I forgot. Duh on my part, LOL!

      Delete
  2. Oh Wow! Those are some cool cards. That would have been awesome to be at those races in person back in the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it would have been cool. I don't know much about drag racing but looking at those photos, man, how could it NOT have been cool?

      Delete
  3. Very cool. I can't imagine anything cooler than my father passing down cards to me. It could be a 1991 Donruss Todd Burns and I'd treat it like it was a T206 hall of famer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There weren't many...6 or 7 from this set and three from Topps Automobiles of 1977, all of which had water damage. He collected real car parts...we found, for instance, more than 200 used windshield wiper blades half buried in the back yard.

      Delete