Saturday, May 26, 2018

Playing catchup and actually catching up! Err, not quite!

I realized something a few days ago that was really kind of a surprise...I'm actually mostly catching up with scanning my new additions in 2018. That has not happened since 2012! Starting in 2013, I began setting aside everything that was already done on the Trading Card Database, and only scanning stuff that needed scans for there, or needed for a blog post once I started Cardboard History in 2014. But basically, by the second week of January every year, I've already been setting cards aside to do later.

But, in December, I actually finished getting everything I needed to post onto the Database. Then, I essentially took January, February and March off from scanning, using that time to catch up on various Excel projects that I had been putting off in some instances for years. Sure, I did do some scanning, like when my COMC order came in and a little bit of just regular scanning.

I realized last week that I had scanned most everything that had come into my collection in 2018...and so I set about doing that. It meant doing a big batch of Revolution cards from that case I got. But I knocked them out in 2 hours. In fact, I had gotten caught up and was in the process of editing the last wave of scans to be actually caught up...then my brother checked the PO box...
I got a box from SumoMenkoMan, and a box from Corky, and a box from a Trading Card Database member which is not shown, but was a factory sealed box! (1994 Star Hooters) There's a lot of good stuff here, but it's going to be a little while before I can get these all processed...and properly posted about. The box from Ryan is mostly early 80s hockey but some 70s hockey as well...the team bags from Corky are a mix of things...showing is my first blue parallel from 2013-14 Prizm hockey, my first numbered WNBA card, the Captain America punching out Hitler card that got the ball rolling on this box, some WJT hockey cards in a language I can't ID, and two numbered NHL rookies.

It's going to take me even longer than normal because I am busy working on models, which means I can't enter them into my paper listings yet...I use the same table. I finished a model yesterday...
 and finished another today, but too late to take photos. I have a third in progress that's nearly done, which will be my 300th model built in my career. Right now, that takes precedence. It's so rare for me to be able to build- my skills left me mysteriously in 2010, and returned just as mysteriously this year- that I'm going to keep on building for as long as I can!

These are good "problems" to have! The time is coming soon where I have to put the models away for the summer- I can't work when it gets too hot- but it's not here yet. I should be able to finish more before then, I hope!

10 comments:

  1. What's the size of the model, trying to visualize scale here. It looks great! I've done maybe 2 models my entire life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's 1/25 scale, and measures out at 7 and a half inches long.

      Delete
  2. The Upper Deck hockey cards are from the 1991-92 Upper Deck Czech World Junior Tournament set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, thank you! I hadn't had a chance to research them yet.

      Delete
  3. If the top cards are any indication this was a heck of a nice haul. The Zajac prizm, Swin Cash, and Sikma Fleer got my attention. Can't wait to see what else is in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure when I will get a chance to post more about them...very busy right now, including more model building. Might not be until June!

      Delete
  4. Looks like a good haul. I am completely caught up with everything in the hobby. Kinda in a boring lull

    ReplyDelete
  5. The paintjob looks pretty legit on that truck. Those are definitely some great skills you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I used to be pretty good at painting. Then, for no apparent reason, I lost my skills in 2010. Now, with no real rhyme or reason to it, they have cone back. I've finished 8 models this year and expect to finish another tonight, which is my highest output since 2010.

      Delete