Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Sets in my Collection #34: 1951 Berk Ross Hit Parade of Champions

Another set that's not in chronological order due to my missing it when I created my overall set collection Excel chart. This is a multi-sport set, and for some unknown reason, it mixes professional sports with college images of players who were by then pros. My only card, of the 72 card set, is of Bob Cousy, who in 1951 was already a member of the Boston Celtics, joining the team in 1950. He would go on to revolutionize the point guard position, so much so that players today are still compared to his legendary exploits. The majority of the set is of baseball, but it also includes basketball, hockey, football, track & field and boxing.

The cards are smaller than standard size, and were originally two card panels, most of which have since been separated. I got this one as a single in a toploader sometime in the 1990s, but I no longer know exactly when or where. You can barely see the perforations on the left side of the front scan.



Note: my computer died. Trying to get to ten posts for the month, I'm pulling from my drafts.

7 comments:

  1. I have some Berk Ross baseball from that time period, but didn't know they made basketball cards too. There's an old guy here in town I know who was drafted by the Celtics but lost the roster spot to Bob Cousy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had my actual computer I could probably figure out exactly who that is!

      Delete
  2. Oh dang. Sorry to hear about your computer. Love the card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. Always enjoy reading about sets I know little to nothing about. Never got to see Cousy play... but as a former basketball fan, I knew he was a legend.

    P.S. Sorry to hear about your computer dying. Hope it's a fixable issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either...he retired so long ago. My mom remembers seeing him and Bill Russell playing though.

      Hopefully the computer is getting fixed. I should find out today or tomorrow. I'll put up a post about it when the situation is settled, either with my computer back or on a new one.

      Delete
  4. That is one fantastic card! (Sorry I missed this post initially) I was aware of Cousy as a kid since he played at Holy Cross with my best friend's dad. I probably saw him play on TV but I could swear to it. But I've always had a soft spot for him (and those old Celtic squads).

    I read your later posts and I see you got the box going. Nothing as frustrating as computer problems. Glad they are behind you.

    ReplyDelete