Monday, October 22, 2018

It's not all Greek to me

I don't really talk about it much, because there's not much presence in the card world...but ancient history is actually my favorite thing. Not cards, not sports, not even cars.

Yesterday, my brother took me on a trip that turned out to be one of the greatest days ever.

It's not really well known, but Fordham University in the Bronx has a small museum called the "Fordham Museum of Greek, Etruscan and Roman Artifacts", which I had no idea existed. Now I know...I hated to leave even though I saw literally everything in there at least twice. Nothing in the museum is newer than around 400 AD.

I can't really put into words what this all meant to me...I put it to my brother on the ride home, that if I had to choose between this museum and the Adirondack Nationals (my favorite day of the year), the Daytona 500, or the NNL East- THIS would win. THAT's how important to me this is. I would give up things I would never miss for this.

I've seen Roman and Greek artifacts before. Truth be told, I have some in my collection. (You can find Roman coins for under $10 if you are willing to accept pieces in extremely low grades. I am!) I've never seen Etruscan artifacts. When I found out the name of the museum I was already on a historical high. I knew it would be incredibly spectacular...it was more than I could have imagined. And it was more than just Roman, Greek and Etruscan, although they made up the vast majority. There was also Egyptian, Byzantine, and...what I think may have impressed me most...a Cuneiform tablet from ancient Babylon, dating to 2100-2000 BC, which is more than 4000 years ago! It's now the oldest object I've ever seen. Cuneiform is the earliest form of writing known. Everything we know...everything we do...even the concept of words in this very post...all of it begins with Cuneiform writing. It's funny too, because it's one of the smallest and least adorned items in the entire museum. It's just a small clay square that would easily fit in the palm of your hand!

Of course, while that was the most shocking...I can't say it was my favorite thing in there. There's just so many to choose from. The artistry of the ancients is mind-boggling. Every item in there was my favorite. 

Unfortunately for my posting them, the ancient Greeks really did not like pants. Most of them aren't wearing any. So I can't really show most of the work on Facebook or here. (Well, I COULD show it here, but...). I am, however, posting them to my website, which I will provide a link to at the bottom, so if you want to see them, you can. Almost all of it is male nudity, but not all, by the way.

I didn't even touch on the fact that this was my first time in NYC since 1995, and this was the first time my brother has ever driven to the City! It won't be the last. We will be attending this museum on a regular basis, and it's literally just across the street from the Bronx Zoo, which is where we went the last time my family was in the City, and will be the destination on a future adventure.

Although I still don't feel like I properly conveyed how amazing this all is, it's time for some photos! Remember, you can see them larger by clicking on them.
This is what you see when you first walk in. That's the head of Caracalla, Emperor of Rome from 188-217 AD. Note the cases in the background. I was so blown away but what I was seeing that I didn't really take any overview shots, which I am now slapping my head over.

Some of the coins on display. Marcus Aurelius is one of my favorite people in all of history. Commodus, his son, is really the cause of the fall of Rome, or at least the start of it. Each of the coins is photographed close up in the album, although some came out blurry. A good excuse to go back!

Imagine seeing that bracelet when it was new. In the 8th century BC. How it must have shined! The Urn is also 8th century, and both hale from pre-Roman Italy. Note the coin display on the right wall adjacent.

A gigantic example of mosaic. To us in today's time it's an amazing piece of artistry. To ancient Romans, this was their floor. The size of this is hard to describe, but it's taller and wider than our car. And it's only a fraction of a larger mosaic! It's Byzantine, presumably what is now Syria. (The Byzantines considered themselves Romans- the name Byzantine Empire is a later creation by antiquarians. Even though it's not correct, it's easier and more understood to refer to the Eastern Roman Empire as Byzantine)

An Etruscan kylix showing a Hippocamp. Supposedly ancient folks believed that these and other fantastical beasts actually existed, although I'm not so sure if I believe that, or if more modern scholars have just assumed that.

One of the things that really surprised me was the scale of things.
It's hard to judge scale when you only see them in photos, in books, magazines, the internet, etc. Seeing them in person for the first time, it surprised me. And It left me even more in awe that these items have survived for more than 2000 years. This is roughly 4 feet tall!  It's also one of my favorite items in the collection. The comedic masks, which are in the album, they are much smaller than I expected. I assumed that they were full human face sized, likely due to reading them described as being "held in front of the face during performances". Knowing, too, that they also had eye and mouth holes for the performers. Yet, they were smaller than I expected, being only about half the size of a normal adult's face.

One of the very few overview shots I took, unfortunately.

Hadrian, also a favorite of mine. This marble head was originally on a building. His eyes would have been painted on, as well.

A full size Roman Imperial era statue! Subject unknown, unfortunately.

Birds are a common theme in Roman mosaics, the Museum has nearly a half dozen on display. This one probably photographed the best.

One of the more disturbing artifacts on display, a casket for a two year old that lived during the time of Augustus.

Roman glass. Most are 3rd century AD. That these survived is incredible in and of itself.

Painted pottery with clothing! I'm taking my opportunity to show it even though in scale and design this is one of the lesser impressive artifacts.

Other than the coins there is not much in the way of metal artifacts in this museum. These, however, are solid gold and are necklace pendants, and are presented here on blue felt. The orange and white striping is a reflection of my shirt. The shields are Macedonian, and this dates to the 4th-3rd century BC. It's Greek. That puts these contemporary with or slightly before the most famous Macedonian in history, Alexander the Great.


A hand held mirror. When I turned the corner and saw this I knew instantly what it was, but I'm glad they have the drawing of the design as well, because it's quite hard to discern at this late date. In antiquity, this would have been polished to a mirror shine. It depicts Athena, Aphrodite and Hera. They are labeled in the Etruscan language!

Another overview shot.

The tablet I discussed above. I was so surprised by it's presence that this is the only photo of it I took!

Roman oil lamps are the third most common ancient artifact, behind only coinage and nails. That's because they made so many of them. I've heard estimates that the Romans made their coins in the billions, with as many as 30 different mints operating around the clock on a daily basis. (especially during the era of Constantine and his sons) Nails were used for everything, from building buildings and ships to the sandals they wore. Both are ubiquitous.  Oil lamps were not as highly produced, perhaps, but they were literally everywhere. Every home in the ancient Roman empire had multiple lamps, it's how they lit their homes, their temples, and everything that they wanted to see at night. Unfortunately they also caused more than a few fires, because of lit lamps tipping over and the oil catching fire. In antiquity, the tiny hole on the end held a wick, that was lighted. The larger holes in the middle or offset were for pouring in more oil. They may have been as abundant originally, but unlike coins and nails they are generally made of terra cotta, not metal, and thus are more easily damaged, leading to a lower survival rate.


The museum does not have much in the way of ancient weaponry, which is surprising because they aren't that uncommon. (They are usually not very artistic, though, which may be why they were barely present, and none were from Greece or Italy. You don't need to be pretty if you are going to be stabbing into somebody, just pointy). These spearheads are Persian, and they are the only Persian artifacts I saw in the museum. My pictures of them are terrible, and this is the better of the two. I didn't even get all of the sword from Mohenjo-Daro in a photo! As I said above, a good reason to go back.

They didn't always stick to standardized shapes when making things back then.

The amount of original painting that survives is rather astounding. This dates to 500-480 BC!

I now use this image as the wallpaper on my smart phone.

This may be the first ancient Egyptian artifact I've ever seen. I think it is, but my trip to the American Museum of Natural History in 1994 may have had Egyptian there. I don't recall.

This woman appears to be holding a flying birthday cake with flying candles in her right hand, while playing a tambourine in her left hand. They had a lot of talents back then that are lost to history today. Note that even though fully clothed, the artist all those years ago still felt the need to include her nipples. Some things truly never change!

Almost surely Alexander the Great's head. This sculpture is one of the three used in the official artistry/iconography of the museum.

The woman on this piece looks annoyed. I did not catch the provenance of this one on film.

Unfortunately more ancient artifacts are found in this condition than the perfect or near-perfect preservation the majority if items on exhibit in this museum display. This depicts a Thracian warrior, and is attributed to Makron. It dates to circa 490 BC.

Here's one last image from the Museum- taken by my brother, who brought his actual camera. I only took my smart phone, which, in retrospect, was a mistake, even though my smart phone takes higher quality photos than most of my cameras. This is me going on about the cuneiform tablet. You can see the small brown square on the glass shelf. It's so tiny...but it packs a big historical punch. And a correction to what I said earlier, above. The tall black vase (alabastron, technically) behind it- barely visible, almost looking ethereal, but not that different from a modern drinking glass, is actually older than the tablet is by about 100 years. My picture did not come out good enough to post, unfortunately, though it is in the album.

If you'd like to see all the pictures- I took more than 400- you can find them by clicking here: Fordham Museum of Greek, Etruscan and Roman Art. Remember that there is full frontal nudity, in painting and statue form, so only click on it if you don't mind seeing that. I don't have any qualms about seeing or photographing it, so there's no attempt to hide it.

I also took a video of the museum. I did upload it to YouTube but it's hidden, only available with this link. It's short, there's no talking, but you can see some of the amazing things I saw, and it does give you a bit of the scale of things as I mentioned above, as well. YouTube walkthrough

Now, beyond the museum, there are a couple of other pictures I want to show. Since it was our first time driving to NYC ever, I had to photodocument it...I am me, after all!
Here is the first place we saw that actually looked like the city! (Immediately after getting off the highway, you see the New York Botanical Garden on your right. I did photograph it, but it's just trees. This...this is city! If you look close, you can see that they have already begun decorating for Christmas.

After many years of watching NYC based TV programming, I had to get a shot of the P.C. Richard sign! Note that on the facing sign for Dr. Jay's, there is a pigeon on top of every single letter, and the apostrophe! I didn't notice that at the time.

Butt Boosting Jeans? OK...maybe the Greeks could have used them 2300 years ago? The tall building on the right that looks unfinished is where we're going.

A black squirrel on the Fordham campus! I've never seen a black one before. If you've been reading here a while you may remember that I love squirrels. My absolute favorite animals. I took more pictures of this squirrel than I did of the Fordham campus itself.

A bus that bends in the middle! Common in the city, but not to me.

A high point on the Taconic looking north towards the Hudson Valley, home again. The colors of the trees were a lot brighter to my eyes than they appear on camera, although it does seem like we may be past peak already,

I also have an album for the pictures of the trip and in the Bronx. It's not as impressive as the museum, but it's still cool. Bronx Trip #1

Before stopping for dinner, we stopped at my favorite vintage dealer. I picked up three hockey cards including my first from 1959-60, 62-63 and 64-65. I'm on such a high from this trip though that cards just aren't interesting me right now, so no scans. This may be a card based website, but today the History aspect of "Cardboard History" gets full focus. Next post will hopefully be the reveal of the mystery project I've been teasing for the last month, but getting that off the ground is proving to be a little more challenging than I thought it would be.

Thank you for reading.

23 comments:

  1. Thanks for the pictures. You would be a great tour guide. In July I got to see the dead sea scrolls at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. But no pictures allowed. I went twice, so I understand you want to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredibly great day for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool trip. Thanks for the play by play. History for me is odd, when I was a kid I wasn't too into it, now it fascinates me and I'm more into it. My brother was (and still is) really into it particularly military history. I think my disinterest as a kid was because I thought most history was military history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really became a die-hard history nut in 2007. I love it all!

      Delete
  4. Looks like it was a great trip. Thanks for posting about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome trip. I enjoy these types of museums and especially seeing the ancient artifacts, but I'm certainly not into it like you (but then again, other than the curators, who is?). As for the HV foliage, don't worry - I don't think we have reached peak yet. It's actually amazing how much green is still out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Museum curator is my dream life actually! Im surprised how much green there still is, actually.

      Delete
  6. This was an enjoyable post, you clearly have an appreciation for ancient history and artifacts. I enjoy going to museums when I can, and NYC is the closest big city to me so I've been to a couple of them-ancient and modern. I've never been to the Fordham museum but thanks to you, I feel like I have now.

    Also, I did a report on Commodus in college. We had to choose a Roman emperor and I picked the incompetent toilet guy because I was a smartass :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What, did somebody already claim Pupienus? šŸ˜

      Delete
  7. That's pretty awesome that you and your brother hang out and do things like this. I wish my brothers and I took trips together. We usually just grab lunch or something. Anyways... that museum looks amazing. I taught a social studies class to middle school English language learners a few years ago and the Roman Empire was one of my favorite units. My students would have loved taking a field trip there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother and I are pretty close. I'm lucky in that way!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the pics! Sounds like he surprised you with the trip to the museum...very nice of him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great read and thanks for sharing. Brought a smile to my day for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome trip Billy! I'm a huge history fan and you certainly made me want to visit this museum, going to add it to my list for sure. Not sure if you have a way to listen to Podcasts but "Hardcore History" by Dan Carlin is one of my favorites of all-time, and free. He did a multi-part (6 if I recall) one on the fall of the Roman Republic that was just incredible.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never really gotten into podcasts...I always have sports on, or when not sports, music. My knowledge of the Republic could use a boost!

      This is super easy to get to. You basically would get on I84, then turn onto the Taconic, and head south. It changes names a few times into the Sprain Brook Parkway and it's about 3 minutes off the exit, passing the Bronx Zoo and New York Botanical Garden in the process.

      Delete
  11. This might be my favorite post that you've ever done! It's funny, we share this same interest, yet we've never talked about it.

    I will be looking at your pictures and watching the video, but for now, I can get enough the unattributed statue, and I would have loved to have seen the mosaic's as well as the oil lamps. I've been wanting to try my hand at primitive pottery for years now (making oil lamps is one of the big reasons why), and this summer was supposed to be the time that I could finally give it a go, but things just didn't work out right, maybe next summer :(

    About a year and a half ago I bought a lot of uncleaned Greek coins, I was gonna do a series of posts covering my attempts to clean them, but ultimately I decided against it, thinking that no one would care to see such a series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That doesn't surprise me- we seem to like a lot of the same stuff! I hope you got a chance to look at the photos- with my computer being in the shop for the last two weeks I have not been able to monitor the views I've been getting, like I normally would when I post a link in a few places.

      Greeks are tough for me to identify. I have only one Greek coin, and it's in such bad shape I wasn't able to identify it for over a year. I eventually found out that it was from Syracuse circa 300 BC but there's not much left of it. The people on FORVM Ancient Coins IDed it for me. I can't complain though as it only cost me $3.

      Delete
  12. I did, I ran the slideshow feature, you did really good job on the majority of those photos. I forgot about the video though, so I'll have to try and do that later tonight.

    ReplyDelete