Friday, October 18, 2019

Birthday Cards + 1st Anniversary of Cardboard History Gallery

First off, sorry I've been unresponsive to the comments I got on the last two posts. I've been on an epic, 11 day, 6 state road trip that saw me knock the second of only three things off my bucket list, and then I've been working on the 8500 pictures I took on the trip...a new record in several categories. I'll have more on that in my next post. 

However, today is my 35th Birthday, and as usual, that means I got some cards. Usually, I know I'll only be getting cards from my family, but that was not the case this year. One of my friends from the Trading Card Database sent me some Birthday cards.  

Bevans, who I've mentioned a few times as a frequent trading partner sent them to me...and they are sure great! 
A Lundqvist relic card, a Joe Johnson parallel from my favorite brand, a vintage OPC Rangers card (this is the corrected version), a numbered Messier parallel, a neat wire photo card, a minor league team set based on the 1996-97 Collector's Choice design...interesting as it was issued the same year...and a Lundqvist promo insert (from Tim Horton's set)
 These here are all errors...cards that should be SN but are not.
 I don't know if they are actually errors, or if they are cards that got out when Fleer went out of business during the 2004-05 season. I DID pull a card that was supposed to be SN but wasn't, so I suppose either is possible.
 My very first ever SportsCaster card! These are huge! I am sorry about the glare, I should have taken it out of the toploader.

The cards from Brad were waiting for me at the PO box when we got home on the 16th.

On my actual birthday, my Mom gave me a jumbo pack of last year's Hoops which yielded these cards:

 Then later she gave me two blasters. I did not have a single card from Victory Lane yet- and as I type this I still don't as I scan each pack before opening, and didn't do that yet! I had gotten two packs of MVP when I was in Lake George but that's not many at all.
Actual birthday cards! Unfortunately, slightly blurry.
My brother took me to Hobby Lobby and let me have a modeling shopping spree. I've attempted a Metal Earth kit in the past but failed, hopefully I can get this one built. Although there's no gluing or painting required on these kits, they are absolutely real models and require a considerable amount of skill...so there's no guarantee I can pull it off, lol. 

Tomorrow is my model club's yearly show, and then I should be able to actually rest and recuperate for a while. 

Today also marks the 1 year anniversary of the Cardboard History Gallery...not a stretch to say my "magnum opus" in the hobby. 
I still have a long way to go but there is actual progress being made now...well, there was, before I went away for over a week. 
As you can see I've put a TON of effort into it already. As I say, there's still more to go, but I'm happy with how it's building up now.

15 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, old man! That Dr. J is really fantastic, I've got some SportCaster's that I've been meaning to show, but none of them are anywhere near as great as that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am really happy to finally have one- I've been watching a few on COMC, but keep getting distracted by other stuff.

      Delete
  2. Good stuff. Happy Birthday, Billy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday bud. Looking forward to that hit from the Victory Lane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a Kasey Kahne tire/firesuit dual relic...will get it scanned at some point.

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday! Nice Sportcaster card for your first. Love those things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! 8500 pictures? I'd guess that I haven't taken that many photos in my lifetime and if I have... I'd say more than half are work related.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've taken over 35000 pictures this year. My old record was 13,050 in one year, which I set last year. I may never take this many in a year again!

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday....well happy belated birthday. That's a lot of pictures but I find pictures are a way to capture lifes greatest moments. The more you snap the better. I do the same exact thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am still working on processing the pictures!

      Delete