Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Postcards from the Moon

I'm fully committed to collecting post cards now. I wavered on that a lot over the last few years, but there's no question now.

When we were on the trip to Ohio, I bought post cards whenever I had the opportunity...some of them, I didn't even have to buy, because they were free. Yes, free. Can't beat adding to your collection for nothing!

The biggest source of the post cards was the Armstrong Air & Space Museum in Wapakoneta, Ohio, which charged for the new cards, but the old ones were free!


I had to pay for all of those...but I think they were all 50 cents each. It's nice to be able to build a collection without going broke!

These two are huge...and they are old. Like most post cards, they are not dated, but based on paper quality and overall "feel" I suspect the top card is from the 1980s and the bottom the 1970s. I also suspect they may have had more than one printing. They are the size of two standard post cards together.





All the scalloped post cards were also free, and I suspect were made in the 1970s...or possibly late 1969. They refer to Nixon as the president, not former president, which lends credence to my theory.  Interestingly, the large card and the scalloped card showing Buzz Aldrin with the flag have the same caption on the back, which specifically mentions the wire placed in the flag to make it appear to be blowing.

Although not a post card, I also got this cool patch. I generally don't collect patches, but I couldn't leave without this one. I'm always afraid that the heat will activate the adhesive and it'll damage anything I leave it on or near...right now it's sitting on a stack of cards while I try and figure out where I'm going to put it permanently.

I've long been a fan of space exploration- I think it comes from Star Wars, honestly- so I'm thrilled to add all of these cards, and I think, for only 2 dollars total. I consider the space program and moon landing to be the greatest human achievement...at least so far. If you're one of those crazy people who think it was a hoax...don't comment. I will permanently lose respect for you...and I won't send you any more cards if you're somebody on my "card list".

I should plug my trip to the museum photo album, over 800 photos, again. Go here to see all 800 photos, ranging from a moon rock to a space toilet and everything in between.

Come back next time to see some more terrestrial post card additions. And don't forget to check my last post from yesterday for a contest announcement!

12 comments:

  1. Cool. At one time my family might have had some of those post cards. I think everyone on my family around the late 60s early 70s were into the Apollo stuff. I know at one time I had a set of stickers of all the Apollo mission shoulder patches. I'm fairly certain they were stickers and not replica patches, even though we had one or two Apollo 11 souvenir patches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I was around back then I would have certainly collected everything I possibly could have as well!

      Delete
  2. Those are freakin' great. They would go in my Space binder, but I'm trying to limit it to standard trading cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Storage, especially on the jumbo ones, is going to be a concern for sure. I will figure something out eventually!

      Delete
  3. Any space card is awesome in my book! Love space cards and agree....biggest human achievement to date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had thought to get more than one so I could have sent them out as gifts...ugh, it didn't occur to me until we were back home in NY.

      Delete
  4. It's cool that you were able to take so many photos. Some museums are strict with their no-photo policies. Also, nice job on snagging the free postcards. Even 50 cents apiece isn't bad for the other ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't like those places. There's a museum in Peekskill that doesn't allow photos, so I've chosen not to give them any entry fees.

      Delete
  5. Postcard collecting rules. And these are flippin' awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really enjoying them...glad I finally decided to officially collect them!

      Delete
  6. So, all postcards? Or just some specific subjects?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure yet. Probably going to do topical (vehicles, architecture, etc) and places I've been to, but, much like standard trading cards, probably everything to some degree.

      Delete