Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Postcards from the Earth

Here are the non-Moon related post cards I added to my trip to Ohio. Or at least, some of them. I know I purchased others, but as I type this, I have misplaced them. I know they came from the NY Thruway so if I have to, I can replace them...let's home I will be able to find them. I may have left them in the car as I was mostly stashing them in the console, not sure I remembered to take them out when we got home.
 I had no idea that the ANG base that has the planes with the snow skies was so close to home!
 I didn't actually see this yet...but I hope to some day. I liked the architecture so I bought it.
 We did go through Syracuse but not this part of it. I-90 is somewhere on the outskirts, didn't see any of these buildings. Still, it looked cool. Syracuse, at one point in history, was the farthest west city in the NBA, believe it or not. The Syracuse Nationals are now the Philadelphia 76ers. Syracuse also hosts the largest car show in the state of New York...over 8000 cars I've been told. The Adirondack Nationals, which I go on about quite a bit, is the second largest show with circa 3000 cars. Syracuse is pretty far towards the other side of the state from me.
The Speedtrap Diner, which I showed in the post recapping the trip, had a post card available as well. Of course I got it.
I also got this sticker.


Snook's Dream Cars had two cards available- showing a drawing of the current building and a photo of the building the current shop is based on.

Update- I found the missing cards! Turns out they were on my computer table/catch-all the whole time. From where I sit at my computer, I could not see them, and then just a few days ago I was standing there and looked over, and there they were in plain sight. I delayed the post over a week looking for them...
These were the missing cards...
 A photography museum? Must go there!
 Cool shot.
 THIS is what I think of when I think of my home state. Rolling hills, farms, towering, colorful trees.
 I remember going through Buffalo when we went to Niagara Falls in 2007, but I don't remember where we went.
 Got this one for my mom who loves lilacs.
 This is probably what most people think of when they think of my home state.
 Hey, I've been here! I went out to the little clearing along the falls to the left of the visible pakring lot. My brother went over to the dirt path section. The part of the land closest to the bottom right on the left is Canada.
 Why did a rest area in New York, at least 3 hours away from New Jersey, have this for sale? I have no idea...but since I have visited the state many times, including three times this year alone, I had to get it. This is based on the license plate the state has used for the last 15 or so years.
 This wasn't bought anywhere near NYC, but I've been to Grand Central, Times Square, the Chrysler building, and possibly the Empire State Building...and I've seen the Freedom Tower from afar.
 This postcard has quite a history. When my brother and I went to Times Square for the first time back in January, we purchased a post card and a magnet...and they went missing, somewhere in the city. We don't know where they got lost, but they did. Then, I bought this one somewhere along the NY Thruway, and I think it's the same one. (I can't remember for sure.) Then THIS one went missing. Luckily, this one was in the house so I was able to find it.
I guess they weren't ALL from the NY Thruway, as this Chicago card was also with them!

While we were going crazy looking for the missing cards, we found some others that I had purchased, but misplaced, several months ago, and to be honest, forgot I had purchased. I don't remember if these came from one of the trips to Lake George, or if they came from the trip to Massachusetts we took in March.
 West Point is a place I have been to. I went and saw Jay Leno there in 2014. I also go to the Cold Spring waterfront which can see West Point and is visible in this photo, the closest part that juts out on the right side.
 I see these buildings in Albany on every trip to Lake George. 787 is the road that runs by the water, which I have been on, but don't care for. I have not been on it in many years, but I should again now that I photo document everything. It's been that long since I've been on it.

This is the Bear Mountain Bridge. I've never been across it, nor have I ever even seen it in person. We don't go south very often. It's one of the 5 major bridges across the Hudson- the Tappan Zee which is just outside NYC, the Bear Mountain, Newburgh-Beacon which is very close to me, and just went over last night on the way to and from the Town of Newburgh Model Car Club meeting, Mid-Hudson which connects Poughkeepsie to Highland (that's the one I walked out on this year, a major deal for me) and Kingston-Rhinecliff, which I have never seen either. I have been over the old Tappan Zee but not the new one, however I have seen it.

PS: It's time! Sign up for this year's Secret Santa right Secret Santa Sign Up Note: You don't have to be Christian or celebrate Christmas to take part, just a fun event to take part in with other bloggers.

12 comments:

  1. I LOVE that lilacs postcard. Actually, it's fun to see all of them. Wish we had checked the rest stop on Route 66 to check for other postcards of the area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent my college years in Rochester, yet I don't think I ever went to the George Eastman House. I have been to a couple Lilac Festivals though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! That must have been a strong smelling convention.

      Delete
  3. I can see why people collect postcard. Each one tells a story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I like them...they are really just like big trading cards.

      Delete
  4. I love the contrast between Times Square at night and the Bear Valley Bridge during the day. Polar opposites within the same state, but both gorgeous in their own ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even more amazing is that they are less than an hour apart!

      Delete
  5. I think I'm gonna have to plan on sending you some postcards in the very near future! And thank you for helping to promote the Secret Santa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would be totally ok with that :)
      Glad to do it. It's fun!

      Delete