Monday, April 20, 2020

Set Completed: 1990-91 Score American

It's funny, when I was doing the factory sets on Easter, I needed less cards from Score than Topps...in my head, I reversed it, thinking I needed more Score and less Topps. I'm really glad I did this factory set because I discovered some errors in my paper listing- cards from the identical except for numbers 100 Hottest Rookies and Rising Stars promo set were listed as base cards, so this was good to be able to figure that out. Also, a lot of the cards I had from the set were in rather poor shape, so many upgrades will come from this set. In the end, I added 224 of the cards to my collection on Easter.


Set: 1990-91 Score
Set Size: 440 cards, plus several errors & corrections
Began Collecting: January 31st, 2015
First card added: #312, Patrick Roy
Set completed: April 12th, 2020, 1898 days according to calculator.net
Full checklist and Gallery: 1990-91 Score American
Thoughts: This is a fun set. The borders that are colored like a hockey rink are pretty iconic, and have been thrown back to by the Score brand at a later date...1990-91 was the watershed year for hockey, when other brands were finally allowed to join Topps and OPC, truly kicking off the "modern era" of hockey cards...Score had a lot of subsets, and unlike the Topps set actually included rookies in the set...this set, and 1990-91 Pro Set, are the oldest sets issued to include a player active when I became a fan of the sport in 2016, which is the ageless Jaromir Jagr...there are 9 cards that had an error and a correction issued, supposedly...the factory set was a mixture of both, I am not entirely sure they all exist. I don't consider them needed to have a complete set, I have each number and each person, that's complete for me, although I will continue to look for the other versions forever, unless I find them...the previously mentioned 100 Hottest Rookies and Rising Stars set uses the exact same design, photos and text as the base cards in the set do, but have different numbers, which is very challenging to figure out, and cannot be done without a reference tool like the Trading Card Database...the only insert for the set is the 5 card Eric Lindros set simply called "Eric" that was exclusive to the factory set, which I also got...there are two box sets that I consider inserts in Rookie and Traded, which feature a yellow border, and Young Superstars, which has it's own exclusive design...there are 4 promos available, counting the error and corrected Wayne Gretzky version...the American set has a blue Score logo and only English text, while the Canadian version has a red Score logo and bilingual text, but uses the same photography.
Favorite memory of the set: My mom's reaction when I showed her the Jaromir Jagr card on Easter
Last card needed: #7 Brian Bellows

I believe I have a factory set of the Canadian version waiting in my stash from SumoMenkoMan, so now that I've begun to complete sets, don't be too surprised if you see a completed set post for it by the end of 2020! (Update: I do! And the 1991-92 Score American set as well)

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I remembered after I made the post that he's in that year's Upper Deck set as well!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! I love this set! Picked up a box of this stuff for $5 a few months ago... in hopes of pulling a Jagr. Or Modano. Brodeur. Sundin. Lindros. Or Blake. Sheesh... there are a lot of rookie cards of hall of famers (or future hall of famers) in this set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great set to have completed. Nice job Billy! There's some excellent photography in this set, especially on the horizontal cards. And the baby-faced Jaromir Jagr draft pick card is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great set to have Billy, a real classic. Worth it for the Jagr and Brodeur RCs alone, as well as that iconic Lindros card. Plenty of other gems to appreciate too though, like Fuji said!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually had the Martin Brodeur already...came out of a sealed pack I got in a repack a while back. Have not gotten it scanned yet though.

      Delete