Sunday, April 19, 2020

Set Completion: 1990-91 Topps

A milestone was reached this past weekend, on Easter, when I completed my first two NHL sets! I wondered when the first set would be, WHAT the first set would be, that I completed...and in the end, I kind of cheated. I said I didn't want to buy a factory set and get them all in one time. I didn't even open the factory sets SumoMenkoMan sent me...but I relented here. I mean, my mom went out of her way to get these for me, at a trying time for the world, so how could I not, right? And it's not like I got them all at one time- I had gotten over 100 cards from this set already, and I hadn't added any new ones to my collection since 2018. So, yeah, I did the factory set, and added 292 of the 396 cards all in one day. I'm glad I did it, in the end. So what if I have the mental asterisk of getting a factory set? It's not like I got any of the cards new, and repacks have totally disappeared, so my chances for getting cards is dwindling. Instead of setting up hoops for myself to jump through, I should be enjoying the cards as they come to me...so I did. Twice!

Set: 1990-91 Topps
Set Size: 396 cards
Began Collecting: January 31st, 2015
First card added to collection: #364, Yvon Corriveau
Completed: April 12th, 2020, 1898 days according to calculator.net
Full checklist and Gallery: 1990-91 Topps
Thoughts: I love the mint green backs...this was the last Topps set to use the brown cardstock, which I didn't care for as a kid but love as an adult...I've already upgraded 5 cards that I had previously in my collection, 4 of which had wax damage...there was only one insert, Team Scoring Leaders, and one promo, Box bottom panels from hobby boxes...there is one parallel, dubbed Tiffany, that was only available in a different factory set form, that features white card stock and a glossy coating on the front, I have none of those...the cards all have the trademark Topps curl to them that is common pre-1992-93 season.
Favorite memory of the set: This, getting the factory set and opening it, knowing it would be my first completed NHL set, wondering which would be the last card needed as I got near the end.
Last card needed: #3, Wayne Gretzky, of the Los Angeles Kings.

Interestingly enough, more cards were new than I thought they would be. Several of the cards I thought were duplicates turned out to be new, because I had the O-Pee-Chee versions, which had the same photos....including the Gretzky that finished off the set! I knew I already had seen that photo, but it was the OPC card that had resided in my collection.

8 comments:

  1. Congrats! This set brings back a lot of great memories for me, especially the factory set. My mom bought Topps factory sets for me every Christmas for about 5-6 years and this was the first hockey set I received. It was a lot of fun to open all the cards and stack them up into team piles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work, Billy! This is a great set. Good design, and excellent rookie class (Modano, Richter, Mogilny, Recchi, and Roenick to name a few).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize it was all their first cards, cool! I already scanned the Mogilny, it was within the first 9 base cards to come out of the box.

      Delete
  3. I cheat all of the time and buy completed sets. The scary part is... it's a slippery slope. Welcome to the club! :D

    P.S. Congratulations on completing your set! I love that Gretzky subset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I've done it many times before...and I usually end up with one or more cards missing! Not this time, though.

      Delete