Wednesday, April 1, 2020

A couple odds and ends

I'm not working on cards at the moment. After doing so every day for years, I got burned out in 2019, as I've discussed a lot. Well, I was starting to feel the same burnout setting in (probably made worse by everything going on) and I mentioned to my brother that I wanted to work on my comics, but couldn't get to them myself. The very next night he fixed it so I could get to them, and I've been working on my comic project since. This is a two-stage project, the goal is to scan the covers of every comic in my collection, which you can my see progress here, and also to read my entire collection. I have more than 500 comics I've never read, many of them given to me. I have been in the hobby since he read me my first comic at 5 days old, but I have not seen my collection since 2002. I was in the middle of sorting my collection when my dad went into the hospital...not knowing at the time that he wouldn't be coming home...so they got put away, and have been untouched since then.

I've been wanting to do the scanning and reading project since at least 2015, and I'm now doing it, although I have not gotten to the books I have not read yet- they are deeper in. Most of what I've been scanning now are the Star Wars comics. But eventually I will get them all...and read them all as well!

There has been one added bonus I was hoping for but not expecting to be so good this early on. Card ads! There's lots of card ads in comics. Most of the ads I've already scanned came from comics, and in just 4 days I've already scanned 19 ads. They cover a wide range of topics...
 DC Movies...
 Star Wars
 Star Wars gaming
 baseball
 A Simpsons gaming set that wasn't even listed on the Database...
and even NASCAR!

I've been posting the ads to the Trading Card Database's Ads section, except the Batman Forever Metal which somebody else had posted previously. They will appear in their respective topics' ad section on the Cardboard History later today or tomorrow.

I actually have a little-used comic blog which is probably going to get more attention for a while. If you like comics, you can click here and follow along: My Comic Book History

===================================================


I am actually making fairly decent progress uploading people to the Cardboard History Gallery. As I'm scanning the comics, I'm uploading people. Most smaller players last about one cover scan. Of course you have the outliers- Vince Carter has more than 425 scans to upload- but even so I'm making more progress uploading people while scanning comics than I did scanning cards.

It's interesting, to me, that for the cards, it takes the most time to edit them, but for scanning comics, it's actually the scanning process itself that takes longest.

Granted, I'm still in the letter C as I type this, but each letter has hundreds of people. B had 377 people to upload. B is surprisingly the largest letter, but maybe it shouldn't be too much a surprise since it was the first letter to hit 1000 people scanned overall.

================================================

I realized that I never wrote a post for the last adventure my brother and I took before everything shut down. I will try and get to that at some point soon. It was 1 month ago today, March 1st.

================================================

I worked on models for the first time in 2020, and it was disastrous. I painted 3 bodies, two of which are unbuildable, and even more concerning is the smell of the paint gave me a bad headache, which is unusual, and I even had both windows open. That's something I need to keep an eye on. It was a pretty disheartening day overall and I went back to comics before the sun went down.

================================================

I feel kind of trapped by this whole coronavirus thing. I'm used to living like this, but it's taking a toll on me mentally anyway. I think it's because, even though yeah I can't really do a whole lot of stuff, I at least had things to look forward to before. Now I don't. Car shows as late as September are already cancelled. I don't know how long this is going to last, but I hope it's not too long. Famous people are starting to die from it, maybe that will make people take it more seriously. And yes, I know that it seems trivial to complain about car shows being cancelled when people are dying, but for me, it's the main reason for living. Ironically, I've noticed that I'm losing weight due to this. I have basically stopped eating fried foods, which was, honestly, my favorites. And I've noticed that I have to pull my pants up more often.

It's funny...not "hah hah" funny, but "peculiar" funny...none of the stuff I'm doing has a time stamp on it...nothing needs to be done at any specific time...yet I still feel like I'm trailing so far behind, like I'll never catch up. For instance, I have magazines in my "waiting to be read" stack still in their factory seal from 2017. I know I've got a box in my storage unit labeled "To be Read 2007" waiting for me.

===============================================

This card was recently brought to my attention. Pretty cool that somebody who looks like he could be a grandfather could still be playing. That makes me wonder, was he the oldest player in baseball?Vince Carter, he's the oldest player in the NBA, and he set the record this season for longest career in history...22 years. What gets me is that I remember when he was drafted...

Either'd have a long way to go before he catches the longest sports career ever though, and that belongs to Hershel McGriff, who competed from 1950 to 2018! Although he did retire a couple times, he found it boring and came out of retirement at age 81. His last race was at 90 years old.
This photo of him dates to 1974, although the card is from 1991. He actually drove from his home in Oregon all the way to Darlington, South Carolina, in 1950, ran the race, then drove the race car back home! Things were very different in those days.

Panini actually got Hershel to sign cards for them in 2018. I really want to find one of them. He is one of only two drivers who were in the first Southern 500 (the first 500 mile race in NASCAR history) to have a certified autograph issue, the other being Cotton Owens. (Technically, Lee Petty has one as well, but it's a cut auto SN to 5 copies and also features Richard. I'll likely never even see one, and he didn't sign an actual card. But it is out there.). I believe Hershel may be the last driver living from that legendary race, but some of the drivers are not well known and their whereabouts and status are unknown.

===========================================

I appreciate the fact that you all respected my wishes and have not sent me cards during this time. With my health problems I don't want to, no, I can't take any risks. Having two of the major risk factors for this virus makes me skittish. And even though you may have taken precautions, who knows who's been caughing on the mail along the way? I never though I'd ever post a thank you for NOT sending me cards, but this is a crazy time we're living in.



16 comments:

  1. Great post! The legendary Satchel Paige played in the major Leagues until he was almost 60! Unfortunately, his MLB career didn't start until he was 42!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in the neighborhood in Portland where Hershel lived he would put Christmas lights on his race car and put it in the front card at Christmas time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that Post cereals ad. I have some of those baseball cards but still need to inventory them. That NASCAR ad at the bottome also caught my eye, mainly because I did pull a few of those cards from Post cereal boxes (even though I'm not really a fan of NASCAR). And Happy Birthday to Phil Niekro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to complete the set...I only got two when they were new.

      Delete
  4. I read Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire years ago. It was a great side-story in the Star Wars universe. I had no idea they created cards for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cards, comics, action figures, a video game, plastic models...they really went all out for Shadows of the Empire. I don't have any of the cards myself.

      Delete
  5. That’s a jam packed post! I feel the same way about catching up or lack of it. This is the fourth post of that Niekro so you’re in good company. Interesting add on about Herschel. Hope you stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can thank Matt from Diamond Jesters for the Niekro wave, he's who brought it to my attention, lol. Thanks! I'm doing everything I can to be safe.

      Delete
  6. I remember when VC was drafted too. Don't remember those Star Wars Shadows of the Empire trading cards though. I'd love to find a set of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite being a long time Star Wars fan I've never seen the cards in person.

      Delete
  7. I have been taking mail days, have one actually to head your way, way, way down the road, but I have been leaving them on the porch overnight in the cold. Then been taking them in, stripping them down to just cards throwing away stuff I would normally reuse and washing my hands til they are cracked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually really looking forward to sending out cards again. Not sure when that will be but I hope soon!

      Delete
  8. Loved those old ads. I read Shadows of the Empire back in the day and I'm pretty sure I had some of those cards at some point. I remember that artwork but maybe it was from the ads. That Niekro card is bitter sweet. I'm pretty sure that was from his last year when he only pitched a couple of games that didn't go well. Still the man had an amazing career and I'm a big fan. Still love knuckleball pitchers though they are all but extinct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, one of the other blogs confirmed that you are correct on Niekro, it was indeed his last year.

      Delete