Monday, May 11, 2020

Some interesting COMC additions that don't fit the other posts

Some cards, they don't fit a specific quest. But they must join the collection all the same.  I'll start with NASCAR, cover the NBA and end with Non-Sports and other sports.

Would you look at the size of that patch? it's now one of my largest! It's part of the Shell from Shell/Pennzoil logo.

 This one completes the insert set for me! To the Maxx was a special series of Racing Champions cars and cards, and I loved them when new. I could never find this Mark Martin though, and while I was able to eventually get the car- it was the Premier version, which came with a different card. I finally hunted it down on COMC.
 A few years back a friend gave me a winning set of 2000 Cup Chase, but it wasn't the Champion set, so I needed this tire card to complete the insert set. Found it on there, and added it. Interestingly, it uses the design of a 2001 insert despite being from the 2000 set.

 The Element of the Race set from 2009 Element features pieces of actual race used flag. I now have a yellow flag of Dale Jr. that I pulled from my box, and this JPM from COMC. I'd like to get at least one example of each flag color, but they are not all that common to come across.
 2009 Press Pass is my favorite Press Pass flagship, and I'm slowly working towards completing the Platinum set, which is SN to 100 cards. It's 220 cards so I probably won't, but I look every chance I get.
 A four time NASCAR Champion, first ballot Hall of Famer autograph, for under $2? Yes, please!
 Although Chemung is hours away from me, there aren't a lot of NASCAR drivers from New York, so I always rooted for the Bodine brothers. Of the three, Geoff is the second to show up on an autograph in my collection...now to find one of Brett. I got Todd's back around 1999. This photo is from 1995, the card from 2016.
Both pieces of sheet metal are pretty darn cool, AND the SN is 34/49, making this only my third door number SN card in my collection, I believe! With almost 5000 SN cards (yes I'm addicted) that's remarkably rare.

 The 1995-96 Upper Deck Electric Court Gold cards are pretty rare- one per box- and it's a 360 card set. Completing them would be pretty much impossible. Terrence Rencher here brings me to almost completing his entire collection. He has only three NBA cards, the base Upper Deck Card, the Electric Court, and the Electric Court Gold. I actually need the Electric Court, which was one per pack, to have them all.
 I didn't even realize this set HAD a blue parallel until I saw it for sale. Jason Maxiell is somebody I collect because I remember reading in his rookie interview in Beckett that he listed building model cars as his hobby. I do that as well! So I try to pick up cards of him when I can.
 Always liked Baron Davis.
 We really need more team cards! I wish Panini didn't give every photo a yellowish tinge in 2010-11 Donruss, because it pretty much killed what would have been an otherwise great set.
They call this a Scope Prizm. It's really cool looking in hand!

This is actually a parallel of the base card, and features a piece of ball used at the Rookie Photo Shoot...possibly even the same ball used in the photo, since this photo is also from that same shoot. They had more than one ball there, though, so who knows?
 Chub! Lousy Chub night! I got this card pretty much solely because of that part of that one Simpsons episode.
 A color parallel from 2012 Panini Americana. SN as well.
 A holofoil parallel from 2013 Topps 75th Anniversary, showing one of my favorite sets.
 A mini card from 2018 Ant-Man and the Wasp. My first card from the set...I had to get this one because of my years of collecting 1/64 cars. These were made specially for the movie, but the wheels and tires on the silver car are taken without modification from a modern Matchbox issue!
 Speaking of 1/64 cars, here's a promo from the 1999 Hot Wheels set. I bought the complete base set at a card show circa 2000 but never got any of the inserts.
Here's a piece of movie-worn leather from Thor Ragnarok, also my first card of the set. Unfortunately UD has been making the Marvel Cinematic sets hobby only lately, which means I can't get any. I've picked up a few off COMC but that's not really very much fun.

 My first card from the Press Pass NHRA set of 2005. I remember seeing blasters of this and not buying it, because it wasn't NASCAR. Now I regret that.
 Don't have many orange Bobcats materials.
 This is great- a piece of Santa hat! And it sticks out really far from the card. Fun, fun card.
 OK, this is not a sports card, but it's in a multi-sport set. I also got the Mini Mono blue back version of the same card.
 Another Santa Hat card, but this one isn't as fun because it doesn't stick up off the card.
 A got a premium relic of him last COMC order, so why not an autograph too?
 If you remember the tire commercial where an archer shot the tire and they drove around afterwords, this is the woman who shot the arrow. Also an Olympian.
 Another relic from an Olympian, even if not an Olympics set.
 Definitely, without question, my first neon pink relic.
 A serially numbered Terry parallel from a Panini promo set I'd never see otherwise.
 Surfing's an Olympic sport now.
 My second card of my first athlete who's last name starts with X. Don't forget, in China, they put surname (last name) first.
 Another Panini promo set I'd never see if not for COMC.
 Ryan Blaney is a great guy. Impossible to not like him. Dressed as Princess Leia/Jabba's Slave outfit for Halloween this year.
 I got this one because I was hoping her surname also started with X, but no such luck, Lin is her family name. Good thing I like the Goodwin Champions set and relic cards anyway, and she's somebody new to my collection, so I'm not unhappy.
This is actually a baseball card...it depicts the car (probably the restoration) that Buddy Baker drove to over 200 miles per hour at Talladega in 1969, the first time that had happened in NASCAR. (it was at a test, but still official). Now, the cars could go up to 225 or more if NASCAR hadn't taken steps to prevent that, but hitting 200 MPH is still a weekly occurrence except for a couple of tracks. In 1969, it was a huge deal. I saw this card get scanned and posted to the Trading Card Database just days after my last shipment, and I went to COMC and bought it instantly. It's been waiting for me since August 2018, but finally is mine!

I thought I had finished posting the COMC Christmas present posts, but I found this one still in my drafts. Oops! 

8 comments:

  1. There are so many great cards in this post, making it hard to choose a favorite, but that Santa hat is really cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Difficult to store due to the piece sticking out so far, but totally worth it!

      Delete
  2. Kurt Busch looks like he's wrapped up in a blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've gotta track down a Quincy Davis autograph for my surfer pc. NASCAR has some really cool memorabilia cards. Even though I don't really follow the sport, I like the idea of using metal from the cars and flags used in races.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should not be too hard, pretty sure I spent under a dollar for this one. Sheet metal is my favorite relic piece to get.

      Delete
  4. Very cool cards. I'm a big fan of the Full Court Press relics and that Knicks team card looks so old-school, like something from the 1970s. The Chub card looks super clean!

    Khatuna Lorig trained Jennifer Lawrence for the Hunger Games trilogy. I do remember that commercial she was in (Lorig, not Lawrence)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd really like to get more of the team cards from that set. They are all great!

      Delete