Tuesday, November 24, 2020

All the Tim Horton's, but none of the carbs!

 Every year Tim Horton's does a hockey card set that is sold exclusively in Canada. Every year I am shut out because I do not live in Canada. This year I decided to put up a post on Facebook and see if my modeling friends who live in Canada might be able to help me out...and did they ever! I made a deal to trade a model kit for 25 packs of the set, which I thought was a great deal...then another friend, he RAOKed me with a huge box containing 100 packs, of which I opened 92 on the first day they arrived. (which is today) WOW! I wasn't expecting that at all, what a great surprise from a good friend! 



After opening those 92 packs, I had: 

  • 119 of 125 base cards, 95.2%
  • 13 of 15 Gold Etchings, 86.7%
  • 14 of 15 Cup Winners, 93.3%
  • 23 of 50 Die Cut, 46%
  • 10 of 15 NHL Canvas, 66/7%
  • 7 of 15 Clear Cut Phenoms, 46.7%
  • 3 of 20 Franchise Trios, 15%, and 
  • 15 of 15 All-Star Standouts, 100%! 
I believe that All-Star Standouts became the first insert I've ever completed from packs all in one day! (not counting single card inserts, of course)

I still have 8 packs left to open, which I will do tomorrow (or possibly later, I need to scan one of them before I open it and my scanner is currently buried under stuff- cards and models. Including the cards from the 92 packs. Maybe not the best planning I've done.)

I'm not sure when I'll get any of the cards scanned, so just a photo of the packs I did open today...
These were also my first cards from the 2020-21 season. I hope we actually get to have a season. 

16 comments:

  1. Whoa that's an awesome haul! I can't wait to see the cards you pulled.

    FYI, there are Tim Horton's locations in the US but I can't say for sure that they distribute the cards since I've never stopped there. There was one in Mystic, CT last time I was there but we had just stopped at Dunkin like 10 mins earlier :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't carry the cards. Some of the cities had exclusive cards but only in the city that the team was in last year, I don't know if they will do that again this year or not. Buffalo was the closest last year and that was 8 hours away.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that's amazing! Congrats! (I miss Tim Hortons..I prefer their coffee over other chains!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't drink coffee but they had an awesome meat and cheese in a bread thing I got when I ate there on the Thruway last year. I could go for one of them again right now.

      Delete
  3. That's really cool - looking forward to seeing what you got.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will probably take a long time to get scanned since they are almost all holofoil, and I like to scan only three of them at a time to maximize the best possible scans. But I'll get some posted hopefully soon.

      Delete
  4. I am eating a Tim Horton's donut as I read this!

    I get the feeling those cards are everywhere in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky! Their donuts are superior to Dunkin'Donuts. I try to not have too many pee year but have to get at least a couple.

      Delete
  5. Tim Horton cards just reminds me of old time card collecting of long ago (at least into the 1990s)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool deal Billy. Congrats. 90+ packs and an almost complete base set, plus a good start on some of the insert stuff. I have pretty much stayed away from the Tim Hortons. They are OK but I am not overly impressed. If I get gifted some Caps or get an opportunity to purchase a few every now and then I am happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to finish the base set and some of the inserts when I finish opening everything

      Delete
  7. Wow how awesome is that! Can't wait to see what some of them look like when you get around to it. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't want to wait they are all scanned on the Database already, including the cards I didn't get.

      Delete
  8. Nothing like ripping 92 packs of cards. Hope you end up completing a few more of these sets with the remaining unopened packs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too! I've never opened that many packs at one time before.

      Delete